Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problem with editing CSS

I made my own theme and I made the custom.css in the design folder. Everytime I make a change I have to make another theme default, then make my theme default for the changes to show up. Is this supposed to happen?

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to call your theme by it's name. If you download a custom theme here, you can examine the about.php and how it is supposed to look as well as the views folder where the default.master.php is located.

You do not edit the default theme. Not all the needed files for a theme are in there.

You will need an about.php , a design folder with the a custom.css file, images folder in there too.

You will need a views folder with a default.master.php or tpl depending on the theme template .

You enable the theme form the dashboard. You do not need to disable it to edit the style.

• I did all that.

Do you have a link ? so I can see?

so you made a theme and it is called theme x, you enabled it in the dashboard , but you don't see the changes right away ? could be the catch.

use a web inspector to see if the style with changes is being called by looking for the changes.

If you are unsure about the theme being enabled, look inside the config.php and find your theme in the configurations . If the default is still the theme, then you have the wrong permissions on the config.php file.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2014

Changes to your custom.css file are most likely not showing up because the CSS file is being cached in your web browser. Be sure to force refresh a page or clear your web browser's cache to see changes on the next page refresh.

Also, make sure you're not using the experimental CombineAssets feature added in Vanilla 2.1, since doing so would require clearing the file cache every time you make a change.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• I cleared my cache and I still have to do the same thing.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2014

View the source code of your website with your theme enabled. In the head element, what is the link to your custom.css file?

After you make changes to the custom.css file, change the default theme from your theme to another and then back again, do the same changes persist or do they disappear after another page load?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Matthew6DMatthew6D New
    edited April 2014

This the url for custom.css

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/forums/cache/Minify/minify_1bf98f26d32192c749e3802e481a4a65.css" media="screen">

And the changes persist.

The problem you have is Minify... disable it and never use it again...