Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedded discussion thread

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I was wondering if it is possible to embed a specific discussion thread on a separate page. There are many use cases for this:

- product discussion on a product item on an eCommerce site
- feedback discussion on a blog entry
- comments on a file upload

I would hope for something that would look somewhat like the Addon-specific discussion on this site.

Comments

• I've been looking for something the discussions ("Questions") like those from the Addons sections, but I wasn't lucky. Is there any plugin, or otherwise an easy way to integrate the discussions into an existing site?
  • Yeah, it is very important for many sites.
    I think it is interesting to see how they make this in Addon application used on this site.
    We need something like index.php?ArticleID=123 that will be able to render discussions using discussions view and you'll embed it either via php or via SSI.
  • It would be great if it were an easy-to-add widget, much like the Facebook comments plugin.

For Facebook I can embed the comments widget on any page using the following:

<div id="fb-root"></div><script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#appId=APP_ID&xfbml=1"></script><fb:comments numposts="10" width="425" publish_feed="true">/fb:comments>

Would be great to see the same for Vanilla !
  • Did anyone ever find a solution to this, cause it would be much appreciated. Ive looked at basic embed but i think it would be pretty neat to have a discussion based on a particular pages content, on page, that is SEO friendly.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is done by using Vanilla for comments.

Basically, you include a snippet of JS and set a unique ID per page. In your dashboard, click on 'Blog Comments' under Forum Settings. Enable embedding. From there, you either use the WordPress plugin or the universal code.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

It really depends on how exactly you want this to work.

If you want a single discussion for each page and directly on the page, for example how Facebook comments or Disqus work, then what @hgtonight suggests is what you want.

If you want it to work like the Addons on this site work, where multiple discussions are possible for each item, but the content of those items isn't on the Addon's page, then I suggest my add-on I just uploaded - DiscussionAbout.