Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

2.1.3 install error

I have been trying though the last couple version of 2.1 to convert my 2.0.18.4 forum to 2.1. I spent some time tonight and have the forum loaded but I am getting this error whenever I click on a username.

Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Query();

Unknown column 'a.NotifyUserID' in 'where clause'
select a2.*, t.FullHeadline as FullHeadline, t.ProfileHeadline as ProfileHeadline, t.AllowComments as AllowComments, t.ShowIcon as ShowIcon, t.RouteCode as RouteCode, t.Name as ActivityType
from GDN_Activity a
join GDN_Activity a2 on a.ActivityID = a2.ActivityID
join GDN_ActivityType t on a2.ActivityTypeID = t.ActivityTypeID
where a.ActivityUserID = :aActivityUserID
and a.NotifyUserID in ('-1', '-2')
order by a.DateUpdated desc
limit 30

I am a novice when it comes to this. Just enough knowledge to keep 2.0.18 running. Any ideas in "laymen's terms what I can do to fix this?

TIA

Dan

Comments

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Does /utility/update in 2.1.3 return a success or fail message? I just get a blank page.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Check your htaccess file to make sure it is correct. The update overwrites this file so it may be your problem.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2014

I remember having this problem when I tried upgrading.

I think I got round it by using the porter plugin http://vanillaforums.org/addon/porter-core and exporting my 2.0 DB and importing it to a clean 2.1 install.

Make sure to do a DB back up before you start, just in case.

I think that led to a problem with not being able to set permissions, which was resolved by separately exporting and importing the permissions table.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I really don't recommend ever using Porter to upgrade.

Try running /utility/update a second time after you've confirmed your htaccess file is working.

You could also try opening your database editor (like phpMyAdmin) and manually adding an int column named NotifyUserID on the GDN_Activity table. That will at least get you past this error (tho I can't guarantee there won't be more).

It would be great if someone could track down this structure bug.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

@Dan Devine said:
    Does /utility/update in 2.1.3 return a success or fail message? I just get a blank page.

so dan - you are logged in right now. how about a response.

what have you tried?

post your .htaccess file

and state what folder your forum is located in.

and did you add in your conf/config.php

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

and did you try any steps in the link provided. if so, what.

and since you have a two name login name - you will never know you are mentioned.

@Dan Devine

best to change it to one name.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I am in the process of trying the upgrade again. When I do the /utility/upgrade I just get a blank page. No feedback of fail or success. I have replaced the .htaccess from the working 2.0.18 install and no change. I have added the config.php file from the 2.0.18 install. Although I got my 5 year badge today and have been using Vanilla since version 1 I still have not gone past the point of being a "just enough to get by" newbie! I was drawn into upgrading by the comment in the readme file about how easy it was to upgrade. Have found this to be the toughest so far! If this upgrade attempt fails I will remain back at 2.0 since it has been working fine. I certainly wish the upgrade process could be more of a "point and click" upgrade. After all, I am a Mac user for a reason :-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

some of it requires you to read the installation instructions, the readmes and the instructions provided.

it is your choice if you want help.

so once again.

what did you do - to upgrade?

did you add in your conf/config.php

it is a very easy upgrade process if you read the readme and the suggested steps.

I suggest you post your .htaccess as suggested.

and if you would be so kind to post your config.php (take out passwords and sensitive info).

also the readme instructions are not as clear as they used to be.

My suggestion when upgrading is to disable all your plugins via the dashboard immediately prior to upgrading. change your theme to the default theme. then upgrade to 2.1, then enable your plugins via the dashboard. In this way you will find out which plugins will crash or cause problems.

from 2.1 release - that has been lost in 2.1.3 .....

with some additional info added here...

• Backup your database and conf/config.php file and .htaccess file.

• Copy all 2.1 files over your 2.0 install

• copy your backed up .htaccess file since it was overwritten.

also make sure that in the .htaccess file you ensure ReWriteBase is correct and is uncommented (remove the # sign and make sure the folder is correct.

# If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
    # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
    # RewriteBase /

• Delete the file /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php

• Delete the file /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php

• DO NOT DELETE default.master.tpl

• Delete the value $Configuration['Vanilla']['Views']['Denormalize'] = TRUE; from /conf/config.php if it is present,

• Run /index.php?p=/utility/update to update the database. It may take a while. If it fails, run it again. It picks up where it left off if it doesn't complete due to a timeout.

Troubleshooting Tips

These are some generic tips for addressing problems during an upgrade.

• Set $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; in your conf/config.php to reveal full error messages. Remember to remove it when you are done.
    • Clear your browser cache and cookies, then restart your browser.
    • Clear *.ini files from the cache folder.
    • Revert to the default theme. You can do this manually in conf/config.php by setting the $Configuration['Garden']['Theme'] value to default.
    • Disable plugins. If you cannot get to your Dashboard, you can manually delete lines containing EnabledPlugins in conf/config.php but do not remove HTMLawed's line.
    • Try running /utility/update again (see upgrade instructions).
    • Verify your permissions are correct for every role. Then go to /role/defaultroles and confirm your default roles are set correctly.
    • Start a new discussion on this site with your version number (likely 2.1 if you're reading this), the exact error message you got, and what you were doing when you got it.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Have read them all, installation instructions, the readmes and the instructions provided for every released version. I am here for help. Sometime when we get too close to our expertise we forget that not everyone is functioning at the same level. I am doing this a step at a time since when I screw something up I don't have the resources to fix things. I appreciate the "push" but I want to make sure I did the upgrade properly before I continue to bother people with questions. As I said in my previous post I did add the conf/config.php file.

• in index.php

replace

error_reporting((E_ERROR | E_PARSE | E_CORE_ERROR | E_COMPILE_ERROR | E_USER_ERROR | E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR) & ~ E_USER_DEPRECATED);

with

error_reporting(-1);

try again

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

As I said in my previous post I did add the conf/config.php file.

see my edited post above. and x00's suggestion.

we speak different languages.

my question was did you add this line and can you post your config.php

your statement in my language does not indicate yes or no,

I'll let someone else handle. I can only help if you have time and desire to be more precise and exacting, since troubleshooting problem needs to be precise and exacting.

since the instructions differ in many places - best to say exactly what you did.

• Ok,

Here is the .htaccess file contents.

Modified

If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified

RewriteEngine On
    # Certain hosts may require the following line.
    # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
    # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
    RewriteBase /Vanilla-2
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

Still have the same problem on latest upgrade plus I added the Debug line = True.

Have a new error also:

Notice: Undefined index: DisplayAs in /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php on line 156

Debug trace yields:

Info Need to re-index theme cache
    Info Need to re-index plugin cache
    Info Need to re-index theme cache

How do I change my username to a single name. Forum doesn't seem to allow username change.

Dan

• @x00 said:
    in index.php

replace

error_reporting((E_ERROR | E_PARSE | E_CORE_ERROR | E_COMPILE_ERROR | E_USER_ERROR | E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR) & ~ E_USER_DEPRECATED);

with

error_reporting(-1);

try again

I have also done this edit.

Dan

• Ok,

Ran the utility/update a couple of times and got a success! Will work with it a bit and see if everything works. I am not sure which edit fixed the problem but it seems all errors are gone except it wants me to reindex the theme and plugin cache. Not sure about that.

Thanks to all who got me this far and sticking with me. Will change my username when I know how to do it.

Thanks!

Dan

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Dan

Glad you got it sorted.

Those last error messages can be ignored, and will go once you turn debug off again.

• you may want to revert to the original index.php - x00's suggestion was for more complete debugging.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/index.php

and it will print errors with notices as well - which you don't need under normal circumstances.
    and will also show alot more non-fatal errors.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.error-reporting.php

the other thing is to remove the line from config.php

or change it to

$Configuration['Debug'] = FALSE;

you really only want the debug mode - when you have errors or are rtroubleshooting, otherwise best to leave the debugging off.

Will change my username when I know how to do it.

@Linc‌

can you help him out. perhaps Dan_Devine so he can obtain mentions properly @Dan Devine

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Fixt.

• Thanks Peregrine and Linc for the help and the fix for the username problem.

• yep change back index.php

grep is your friend.

• Thanks x00, will do.`