Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

htmlawed and allowing classes

In my forum I have Markdown which outputs classes for the syntax highlighter to indicate what language it should highlight the code in (GFM style). I've just been testing the 2.2 update (I'm a bit slow off the mark here!) and have found that the Htmlawed plug-in included in 2.2 now has more advanced security and will strip classes unless they are listed - makes sense!

However, adding the classes In need to allow to the AllowedClasses array doesn't appear to make any difference to the output in my forum - htmlawed is still stripping the classes. If I bypass Htmlawed then the output works as expected, but that obviously isn't ideal.

I've also tried removing the class option from the deny_attribute list and that makes no difference.

Does any one have any suggestions for how classes can be allowed in the output?

Thanks,
Allan

Best Answer

Answers

• Little bit more experimentation and it looks like the issue comes from there being multiple classes on the element. If I use a single class that is in the AllowedClasses array then that is allowed. If I use two or more (space separated in the HTML attribute) they get stripped.

The Htmlawed documentation seems to suggest that multiple should be allowed:

oneof - one or more choices separated by | that the value should match; if only one choice is provided, then the value must match that choice

But it seems to be only one.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Allan

• EclipseEclipse New
    edited March 2016

Full disclosure, I am not too familiar with htmLawed, but I have read your link to $spec and have a suggestion.

Say you have:

<p class="a b c"></p>
    <p class="d e"></p>

If you have been trying:

$spec = p=class(oneof=a|b|c|d|e)

Try instead:

$spec = p=class(oneof=a b c|d e)

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2016

Ok I'm confused i thin you are going about this the wrong way

what you want is syntax like

```php

correct?

grep is your friend.

• @Eclipse - Unfortunately one of the first things that Htmlawed appears to do is run the spec through a str_replace which strips out white space characters so it would end up searching abc|de.

@x00 - exactly. The resulting HTML is <code class="multiline language-php">...</code>. The classes are used to tell the Javascript syntax highlighter library information about what it should do.

This is probably evolving into an Htmlawed question - I've opened a thread on the board there.

Allan

• There are four way of inserting block code in vanilla

<tag>

<tag>

<tag>

This si the result of the preview

<pre><code>&lt;tag&gt;
    </code></pre>

<pre><code>&lt;tag&gt;
    </code></pre>

<pre><code>&lt;tag&gt;
    </code></pre>

<pre>

</pre>
    </div>
    </div>

grep is your friend.

• You could make htmLawed play ball. Or you could force it into post parsing.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2016

I used this to test what you want

http://www.bioinformatics.org/phplabware/internal_utilities/htmLawed/htmLawedTest.php

don't use oneof use match

e.g.

p=class(match=%a \(b|c\)%)

Note the escaping of the parenthesis. Btw test it out, becuase I notice that incorrect syntax can open the whole attribute up.

grep is your friend.

• @Eclipse - \x04 - brilliant! That works really nicely. Good thinking :-)

@x00 - The problem I had with match was the space aspect, and as you note it defaults to valid.

Using \x04 seems to work in place of a space at the moment, and the classes I want to allow are always in a known order, so I'm okay with that.

Thanks to both for your input on this - massively appreciated!

Allan

• it is not the only one the defaults to valid though.

If you are good at PCRE it is very versatile.

grep is your friend.