Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Preventing Posts from Unverified Members

How do I prevent unverified members from any posting? 100% of the massive amount of spam I receive is from these accounts. Seems like it should be a simple adjustment in roles, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I'm on 2.2.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

People need to confirm their email before being allowed to post. You set that up in roles and permissions. And choose a better registration method.

• I have specified that Members must verify email, and that no one short of Member status can post. But I'm getting tons of posts from "Members" with an "Unverified" status listed by their name. This makes no sense to me. How can I adjust so that Unverified cannot post?

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited June 2016

@fredgwynne said:
    I have specified that Members must verify email, and that no one short of Member status can post. But I'm getting tons of posts from "Members" with an "Unverified" status listed by their name. This makes no sense to me. How can I adjust so that Unverified cannot post?

Unverified is NOT UnConfirmed. Two different things. and very confusing.
    verified is NOT Confirmed.

Confirmed related to e-mail confirmation.
    Verified depends on whether you clicked on the users profile or it is set by some external plugin.

from the code.
    $Title = t('Verified Description', 'Verified users bypass spam and pre-moderation filters.');
    Verified is something you check off on the profile page.

So that depends on spam filters and any pre-moderation filters you have.

I have yet to see any real user documentation on Verified vs UnVerified.

I don't think you want Verified vs UnVerified - this is not a Role. It is a flag, and preventing posts except by verified users could be quite burdensome if you set up some kind of post approval.

What you probably want is to pick a good registration method with confirm e-mail and some plugins effective against spam applicants and spam posters.

Suggest you change to Approval or Invite Registration and with Approval you could use confirm E-mail.

read this post. Approval with Confirm Email settings might be helpful. Also Invite is another option.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/32308/approval-with-confirm-email-config-php-settings

@vrijvlinder said:
    People need to confirm their email before being allowed to post. You set that up in roles and permissions. And choose a better registration method.

good advice.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.