HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

...my friends and I could use some help...

A small group of friends has been using Vanilla for a private forum for several years now. One of us has been hosting the forum on his own server. Unfortunately, that friend passed away suddenly after a short illness, and we are trying to figure out how to proceed in his absence. He did grant all of us admin rights, and we have been contemplating moving our existing forum to the cloud. Unfortunately, after perusing the options available to us as administrators, I do not see how we can do this.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. We do not know what provisions our late friend made for the continuity of his hosting service, and we are hoping to resolve this quickly so that we do not find ourselves cut off from each other.

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

You need the hosting account information. Forum admin access isn't sufficient to migrate or export.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Sorry about your friend. :(

• Options

Thanks for your help. We are feeling his loss acutely.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2016

@wilyone said:
    Thanks for your help. We are feeling his loss acutely.

I suggest you get the family of your friend to give you a copy of the death certificate in order to help you prove you have permission to access the files in the server so you can move them. Ask the host to give you a Data base copy and back up of the files. You don't need to have access to the account, they can get all that for you.

Just explain to them that the person with the account died , you have the death certificate copy and a letter form his family giving you permission to get the files and move your forum elsewhere.

Good luck

• Options

@wilyone said:
    we are hoping to resolve this quickly so that we do not find ourselves cut off from each other.

you can always start a New Community forum so you can remain together and post a link on the old forum.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

For security reason the webhosting company is not goign to give you access. However billing will continue until the family sort his financial affairs. The best thing to do would to get in touch with he family.

Naturally a company is not going to respond to this with out the relevant consent and proof. In fact it would be potentially breaking the law to give you access without this.

grep is your friend.