Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

End user manuals, does anyone have one lying around?

AnkeAnke New
edited October 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

Our client wants to include a 'how to' page for the end users (visitors) of the forum that we are building. This will contain questions such as:

• What if I lost my password
  • How do I include a link
    etc. etc.

Does anyone already have such a document lying around or is there a end-user or forum-visitor tutorial available?
Asking this also because I've once worked in a phpbb forum as well, and they have a standard help text and manual for the users included. I want to avoid having to start from scratch when it already exists for Vanilla as well.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Using Vanilla 2.2.1 Open Source

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There are some videos: https://vimeo.com/vanillaforums/videos

But since you have asked in another discussions for accessibility features, that might not be appropriate.

• Options

Thanks R_J,
    I might use those as a starting point to write something myself if I don't come across anything else.

But since we're using it as a FAQ / manual page for the forum, we prefer something text-based (and searchable) . And, you already mentioned it, accessible for all. :)

I'll eventually share my doc here for further use, but it will be in Dutch. ;)

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

That's a pity. You could have contributed your docs to the official documentation: http://docs.vanillaforums.com/help

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited October 2016

@Anke said:
    Thanks R_J,
    I might use those as a starting point to write something myself if I don't come across anything else.

But since we're using it as a FAQ / manual page for the forum, we prefer something text-based (and searchable) . And, you already mentioned it, accessible for all. :)

I'll eventually share my doc here for further use, but it will be in Dutch. ;)

Nice, that would be a treat. Dutch Treat.

I suppose if it was in English and a few other languages, it would be an English treat. and Accessiblity to a wider segment of the world.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

@R_J said:
    That's a pity. You could have contributed your docs to the official documentation: http://docs.vanillaforums.com/help

Thanks for plugging the new docs site :) Its my current pet project

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options

@R_J zei:

If it's not too much text, I'll translate to English. But since I'm not a native speaker, someone who is might wanna go over it and improve my dunglish. :)

I personally think an end-user manual would be helpful for more people to use in their projects. There are always digitally challenged people that have seemingly simple questions and are too afraid to press buttons to see what they do. And eventually, without visitors, why would we have a forum! ;)

Keep you posted!

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

It's a good goal to have an end user manual but I think that one of Vanilla's great strengths, it's flexibility, will work against it. Both in terms of the differences in design of different sites and in terms of the different plugins employed by the sites, all of which change the user experience.

So I think that intuitive simple design is the best bet. That said, you will notice from an extract of my test site screen that it does have a "Help" menu;-) ...