Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

23 hours ago? (bug)

ithcyithcy New
edited April 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
i've been meaning to report this one for a while.
whenever anyone adds a new post, this happens:

upon refresh the proper time is displayed.
(this is with the latest vanilla, but it's been happening for several revisions.)

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Hmm. I've never seen that...
  • yeah, i have no idea. it happens to all my users. and this is a completely fresh (as of yesterday) install. it happened before the new install too.
  • edited July 2006
    Some odd timezone offset? MySQL server on different time than web server?

Does it go to 24 hours (err... one day) ago if you check back in a hour?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2006
    I don't use mysql to generate any timestamps. Everything is done with php (after there was a bunch of confusion a few months back with mysql being in a different timezone than the server itself. Wierdness).

Hmm. It must have something to do with the zero when you subtract comment posting time (now) from current time (now) on a server that is very fast at posting.

But I could have sworn I figured that one out a while back.

You're a good programmer - can you do some testing to see if you can figure out what's going on?
  • Sure thing.
  • I don't get it. Whats wrong with that. 23 hours is valid, isn't it? What is it suppose to say?

"Almost one day ago" ?
  •  Quote: Krak  I don't get it. Whats wrong with that. 23 hours is valid, isn't it? What is it suppose to say?
    It's a NEW post, it should say 5 seconds ago!
  • Oh snap, reading helps, haha.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2006
    Actually, I remember this happening a while back in pre 9.x builds, but I totally forget what the hell was causing it. Instead of 23 hours ago it was reporting 22 which was odd. Here it is: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/421/22-hours-ago/
  • ah, good find lech
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I fixed that bug, though. This one is different...
  • Yeah lech, i remembered that, but as mark says it was different. That was the mysql timezone issue wasnt it?
  • I started noticing this bug a few days ago... if you add a comment and the timestamp says "23 hours ago", every new comment will be added <strong>before</strong> the one with a buggy timestamp. But after an hour (or so) the timestamp returns to normal...
  • ... and it started to happen even more often.
  • Hi, so anyone got a remedy for this because I am having the same problem on my install too and it is running on my localhost so no timezone issues.
    Anyone got some insight on this one.
    I have done

if($Days < 0)
    $Days = 0;

and It has sort of fixed on the local but on the uploaded versoin, its still not running.
  • My server is in GMT whereas the site runs on Dutch time.
    Does it have something to do with that.
  • I have added a small hack in functions.php file in TimeDiff function.
    It is $Time = $Time + 60*60;

And its doing great since. :)
    let me know your thoughts. :)