Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Wishlist for Vanilla 2.0

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Thats right SirNot Drupal 5.0 will have all javascript in JQuery. Drupal is an amazing cms. If jQuery is good enough for them its good enough for Vanilla too. There is a post about why they choose jQuery
    the best part of jQuery is it CSS like queries and chaining of commands.
  • > this is very easy

sure man, you're a talented coder ,but my specialities are not to code or to convert scripts that might be the difference:D
  • there are basically 2 directions to develop vanilla better search lighter code (extensionfy everything)
  • & this watershed between forums and blogs ... vanilla would make a good *group blog*. it just needs couple of things more (tags, mod rights issue)
  • my dream is to have a great integrated blog/chat script I have been integrating wordpress and vanilla this week on a new website of mine...........but I would rather have swell and vanilla in one suite. That is where I think the next big thing is at. And I bet there are folks working on a blog/chat suite as we speak.
  • there's an idea......vanilla continues to be open source, but for say $49.95 a person can buy an integrated suite from Mark (ie vanilla combined with swell)
  • On marks earlier mentioned prototype gripe. why not have an extension set a variable (boolean) that says to vanilla something like "prototype needed for this extension" and loads it. that way if an extension needs it, its loaded, if not, its not loaded/included. could save loading on the main pages (categories etc.) and then load it and provide function when on the settings/search pages for example. ( or, well, whenever its needed..)
    whatever framework you use, make sure its secured. All too easy these days to exploit them. especially those that make database calls etc.

p.s. I SO want a blog software like vanilla. please god. please let it be so.
  • i don't understand why the need for blog. Don't we have enough of them already. Vanilla does things much better than traditional forums. Hence i see a need for it. i don't see why people want a blog system. can't u use existing ones.
  • I'd personally like the blog feature for the purpose of smooth and slick integration, in the style of vanilla.

combining the two's features would provide such a lean system it'd be scary yet beautiful to behold. *begins to dream..*
  • seriously. it'd be like watching Rambo ice-skating gracefully like a delicate summer flower.
  • so basically what u want is seamless integration between a blog and vanilla
  • I'd like seamless integration between vanilla and as many silly services/functions/gadgets and doohickys as i can think of.
    AND have them all as well made as vanilla.

... then i wake up and ....
  • I feel the same. I think a seamless website, with blogging and vanilla in it would be awesome. That type of forum is the future I suspect. I am no massive blogging fan, but apparently a large chunk of the world does have such a fetish. A Vanilla/Swell suite, if it were to be released, would dominate the worldwide market place. MySchizoBuddy, i do appreciate that you are not convinced as to the need for such a suite.....but think for a second about a website that i have just integrated wordpress and vanilla into. It is a music based site. My blog section will cover any breaking stories or my personal takes on topical developments.....3 or 4 per day. Over on the forum, the musicians on the site can discuss music/projects and all sorts of things of a wider nature. I'm maybe not explaining this very clearly. Hope you get the general jist of it.
  • Strawberries, I'm for Wordpress plus Vanilla, I'm for Drupal plus Vanilla. I understand blog + forum concept pretty well. What i don't understand is why mark needs to create a blog package to integrate with vanilla, and why are people so wanting of him to deliver something that already exists. The blog capability is easily achieved with wordpress or other packages. Why reinvent the wheel. People are acting like if mark doesn't create swell, all hell will break loose and the dream of blog + Vanilla won't be fulfilled and they won't be able to get a good night sleep for the rest of their lives. PS: looking at how mark has taken a boring idea of a forum and turned into something very exciting. Who would have thought a forum design can actually be improved. Every single forum out there is based on retarded old age design. and mark comes out with Vanilla which is so refreshing and original. I would love to see what he would do with a blog idea. and how he would design it differently. I want to see his take on blog design.
  • MySchizoBuddy, I agree with most of what you've just said. But it isn't ideal on a site to have vanilla with wordpress, or drupal with vanilla. There are seams visible and lots of hassle with integration (just for logins, nevermind the look/template). I get lost very quickly in coding issues (like 99.9 percent of the population). I can tweak, but it wa sonly due to Mark's excellent integration tutorial that I finally got the work done (to marry the database/log-ins of vanilla and wordpress on my site) Vanilla is by far the best chat forum script on the web imho. But it isn't a blog.....and the integration of it with wordpress or some other blogging script is far from ideal. There is zero pressure on Mark. He has enough on his plate I imagine. But with the wealth of talent in here, it's a pity we couldn't help put something together in the months ahead.
  • some of you guys might be interested in this wordpress plugin - http://www.sargant.com/blog/wordpress-plugins/rs-discuss/
  • Isn't a blog just a forum with funny formatting? :-)
  • Isn't a forum just a blog with funny formatting? :)
  • I think that some of the standardized extensions that the majority of people always install should be included in the extenstion folder, so you do not have to download the basic features. This way you would only have to enable it in the extention options. I also think that a good auto refreash would be a nice feature to have. Not something that does it every minute, but something like gmail where every 5 minutes or so the page would refreash. Just my two cents though.
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited October 2006
    Speaking of a Vanilla/Swell suite... Have you guys seen Vox? It just got out of Beta today: http://www.vox.com/explore It's basically Six Apart's version of a Vanilla and Swell suite. Definitely worth a look if you're looking for ideas for Vanilla and Swell. At first glance it looks like Vanilla, but as you dig further, you'll see the blogging core in action.
This discussion has been closed.