Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Having trouble setting email for notifications

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Ok so I tried setting my gmail account as the email address for sending out notifications and sending out forgotten passwords to people and I can't figure out how to get it to work. This is the error I got when I tried to request a forgotten password:

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to gmail.com:25 in /mounted-storage/home4/sub002/sc11923-BRUP/oga/Vanilla.1.0.1/library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php on line 184
A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
Could not connect to SMTP host gmail.com:25
Affected Elements
Email.SMTPSend();

The error occurred on or near: 110: Connection timed out

Comments

• smtp.gmail.com is on the port 465 and require a secure connection.

If you want to use the gmail smtp server, you will need to rewrite the Email class of Vanilla.
  • oh lol hmm... nvm then. How do i utilize the existing email code then? I'm not sure how this whole thing works.
  • You dont need to tell vanilla to use smtp settings...chances are it will work without any (and if you set the admin email of the forum to your gmail address it will convince people that the message was sent from that address anyway)
This discussion has been closed.