Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Private Messages 1.1

Comments

• For some reason, the private messages don't go directly to the person you addressed them to. They seem to go to an "in box" that everyone can see. What am I doing wrong?
  • edited July 2007
    so whats going on? are the bugs resolved? and @BHR4CE1 did you pm yourself?
  • # BHR4CE1: you have to set that category to private, that's it.
  • Yikes! I tried to use the version posted by sjeeps above but it crashed my entire forum. A "Delete" function would be nice - and also making the "sent items" work properly.
  • What about making it work with Friendly urls? It would be a nice change, you know how important that is for SEO
  • @jaganat
    Hopefully search engines aren't indexing your PM's...
  • I agree rel1sh! That would be pretty bad :D

I'd still like friendly URLs to work though - it's just much friendlier giving people human-readable URLs instead of something with a ? and = in it.
  • Any update from jazzman on this yet?

Functionality requested from my users includes:
    1) Ability to delete PMs from the Inbox page
    2) Integration with WYSIWYG editor (I tried the hack mentioned earlier in this thread to FCKeditor's default.php and it simply returned an error)
    3) A pop-up window (or some other means) notification that a new PM exists when a user logs into the forum, as well as proper functioning of "notify via email" which is still flaky at best
    4) Proper sorting of messages in the inbox/sent items, or simply eliminate the "sent items" link since it is non-functional

Everyone loves the extension otherwise, just needs a few final touches. Thank you and I look forward to version 1.2 (or 2.0?)
  • edited September 2007
    dyohn... - you can delete PMs from the inbox page, although a checkbox may be useful as i have 130 to plough through! - the sent items link could probably be easily removed, i will have to have a look into it. i agree that better notification is still needed. an easy way to do this would be to change the styling of the <li>, so as well as saying "1 new message", it also highlighted it in a different colour. i will look into this later.
  • re: deleting PMs. Pray tell how to allow users to do this?
  • @dyohn: it's in the unofficial release referenced here -> http://lussumo.com/community/?CommentID=69187.

Note: there is an error on line 748 of default.php. You will need to change that line from:
    header('location:'.GetUrl($this->Context->Configuration, 'extension.php', '', '', '', '', 'PostBackAction=PrivateMessages&View='.ForceIncomingString('ViewBack')));To:
    header('location:'.GetUrl($Context->Configuration, 'extension.php', '', '', '', '', 'PostBackAction=PrivateMessages&View='.ForceIncomingString('ViewBack')));
  • THANKS! That worked like a champ with your correction and now my members can clean up their inbox. I am very happy!
  • This extension really, really, really needs to be updated. Jazzman, do you have time to look through these updates to the code? Barring that, should this be forked and uploaded as a competing Add-on?
  • That PrivateMessages3 is working like a charm for me... thanks.
  • If someone puts together a working update of this extension and posts it for the attention of the addon admins, I'm sure they wouldn't mind updating this extension ;)
  • Here is the default.php file of "version 2.0" with the delete function, including schultz' mod to line 748 per the above instructions: http://www.ableza.org/default.php

A table called LUM_UserDiscussionHide with two values as previously discussed in this thread will still need to be created in the target database.
  • dyohn, try changing the extension on that file form .php to .phps and it may be of use to others. Right now it's getting parsed by PHP which doesn't help much.
  • Sorry, I'll zip the folder. Try downloading this: http://www.ableza.org/PrivateMessages.zip
  • Where can I get PrivateMessages3 (which is working like a charm).
  • Great Extension I think! Works fine, but what can I do, if my Forum has about 150 Members and I want all of them to activate the eMail-Notification, secondary I want all New Members automaticly been notified. Is it possible to do something like: PrivateMessageNotification = "Auto-All" :-) Best regards, Michael