Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[STYLING] IPhone stylesheet/theme

13»

Comments

• Options
    emsef any progress ?
  • Options
    mattmatt ✭✭
    I'm resuming work on this for Vanilla 2

Woo!
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Awesome! Give'r
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    hallelujah!
  • Options
    This is great news. I've been waiting for an iPhone stylesheet since I started my forum.
  • Options
    mattmatt ✭✭
    There already exists am iPhone theme for v1, but it's less than ideal.

This new one will be V2 only.
  • Options
    did anybody ever get this working. i've been at it for a few hours using the contents of the zip file and can't get it!
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    2 things that are very important for Vanilla 2 to have:

1) Integration with Wordpress (similar to BBPress)

2) iPhone optimized theme (similar to the WPtouch plugin for Wordpress)

I think these will give Vanilla a significant competitive edge in today's market and get it even closer to the big leagues.
  • Options
    *bump* hopaefully @matt is still out there
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    1 year later... doubt it

But I'm pretty sure the Vanilla team will come up with something in this area... they've been doing some awesome work and best of all they've been listening :)
  • Options
    I was planning on working on a mobile web theme, though I didn't have the iPhone in mind so much...

It would be low on my to do list though... but it would be a great way to promote Vanilla.
  • Options
    If any developers out there know Vanilla's HTML/PHP View controllers pretty well and want to collaborate on this let me know.

I did a custom helvetica based theme for dejitaru above and want to do an iphone based version but requires to much view/html/php editing that I don't want to mess with.

(helvetica theme I created)
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    dude that's a really nice theme, have you released it?
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Also, I'd be willing to pump some cash into an iPhone implementation of Vanilla if anyone is ever interested. my email is simon at raize dot ca
  • Options
    @Raize

I have not released it but I have considered. We're still beta testing/tweaking it. Maybe soon.
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    This would be interesting for the iPhone ( as well as Android).
    http://www.tapatalk.com/api/api.php

• Options
    Too many people rely on 3rd party plugins already. Some simple css can do what they are doing and it's free.

I could style the forum as is for the iphone (and have), that's not the problem. It's not really even detection though having different HTML views served for a mobile device would be icing on the cake... (As it stands now, you detect using CSS viewport and basically using display/visibility tricks in the CSS to show/hide html markup that may or may not be needed for the mobile view)

My biggest complaint and it goes for 99% of the websites that have "mobile" versions is they never sit back and think about HOW the user is using the site/application on their mobile device. In general if you're using a forum on a mobile device you're looking for something specific (search) or want to be able to browse/post in a thread relatively easy. Things like profiles, activity, etc aren't needed. Also have you tried "logging" in using the iphone, the modal window is never in view when you click to sign in.

Anyways end rant.
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited October 2010
    @empirikal the beauty of tapatalk is it has those included and would also help all Vanilla Forum owners to get more exposure. You are right though. Mobile versions are about getting information or searching. But from an admin perspective, it would be nice to be able to moderate the forum from an iPhone or another device. Current regular themes do not translate well. Has anyone succeeded in creating a fully functional iphone theme for this? Maybe I missed it? Or would someone be willing to share it in the addon directory :) If not its on my wishlist, so I can always create one, but really don't want to reinvent the wheel.
  • Options
    if someone is able to help me with the php to add a meta and link tag to the head. I can pretty quickly write an iphone stylesheet.

but I need some things added to the head before I can do anything.
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" /> and <link media="only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="/iphone.css" type= "text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

I know some php but am primarily a designer / front end dev and the themeing system in vanilla 2 is way too weird, convoluted and undocumented for me have half the time needed to figure it out. I do however, write iphone css often at my day job so making something for this should be pretty quick.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Add meta tags to a page with a plugin:

$Sender->Head->AddTag('meta', array('name'=>'viewport', 'content' => 'width=device-width;'));
    You could do that in a Base_Render_Before(&$Sender) function to apply the meta tag site-wide, or call it in a specific controller (e.g. DiscussionController_Render_Before) to do a page-by-page basis.