Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2 Installation Error

jbminnjbminn New
edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Summary: The installation consistently fails with a 404 Not found 'http://[my.server.domain][/install-url]/garden/gardensetup/2'.

Environment:
- Apache 2.11
- Fedora 10.9
- MySQL 5.1.32
- PHP 5.3.0 w/ PDO + pdo_mysql

I've downloaded the latest from github as of 8-Aug-2009 7:00pm MST and I've followed the brief instructions in INSTALL.txt but can't get past the first installation screen. This seems like it may be an .htaccess rewrite rule issue.

Steps to reproduce:
- Download latest
- Untar into documentroot
- Navigate to URL (i.e. http://[my.server.domain]/[install-url])
- Note error about missing uploads folder
- Create uploads folder; try again
- Fill out form with database name, database user name & password, admin user details
- Click continue
- Note 404 error page

The installation consistently fails with the message 'http://[my.server.domain][/install-url]/garden/gardensetup/2'. This occurs immediately after submitting the form that requests & sets the database & db user name. I can see that config.php is created & the tables in the database get populated, but I cannot get past this error.

Is this supposed to work at this point in development?

Comments

• jbminnjbminn New
    edited August 2009
    Solved it myself - should have waited a couple more minutes. ;)

In a base Apache installation, DocumentRoot will have a strict policy against allowing .htaccess overrides; this is by default set to

AllowOverride None

This must be changed to

AllowOverride All

and restart Apache. Otherwise, the rewrite rules in .htaccess will never get fired, creating 404 errors when it attempts to traverse to a non-rewritten URL in the application.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Thanks for the fix. I'm posting this issue to github too.
  • edited August 2009
    Installed Garden/Vanilla 2 with a fresh and empty database. Right after I entered all the information it needs this error came up:

The error occurred on or near: /var/www/***/html/sommerboard_v2/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php

410: }

411:

412: // Include all of the paths.

413: $PluginInfo = array();

414: foreach($Paths as $Path) {

415: if(file_exists($Path))

416: include($Path);

417: }

418:

Backtrace:

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/library/core/functions.error.php:124] PHP::include();

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php:414] PHP::ErrorHandler();

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/bootstrap.php:128] Gdn_PluginManager->IncludePlugins();

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/index.php:26] PHP::require_once();

Variables in local scope:

[EnabledPlugins] array (

'HTMLPurifier' => 'HtmlPurifier',

)

[Paths] NULL

[PluginFolder] 'HtmlPurifier'

[PluginName] 'HTMLPurifier'

[PluginInfo] array (

)

The *** are just a replacement. ;)
  • How are you guys installing this? The files on github are incomplete.. config.php doesn't exist which results in an error right off the bat?

Am I missing something here?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @XBleed - config.php is created by the installer if it has been given the proper permissions. We still need to do some work on the installer so that these things are clear to the person doing the install - which is a big reason why we haven't made an official release yet.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2010
    @typolicious - It looks like it is failing to include your plugins.

It would really be a lot more helpful if these bugs would be submitted to our issue tracker instead of this forum. We're going through the issues on github every day, and it really helps to have all this stuff in one place:

http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues

//edited GitHub link -Lincoln 29 Sept 2010
  • Hi guys

I just downloaded Vanilla 2 from GitHub to give it a test spin but I cannot for the life of me get the installer to work. I've uploaded all the files, read the install.txt but I keep getting the below error every time I point my browser to the root directory of garden.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/jhosting/public_html/garden/index.php on line 30

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Open that file and look at line 30. My guess is that the upload messed up your file somehow.
  • I have the same problem as typolicious

410: }

411:

412: // Include all of the paths.

413: $PluginInfo = array();

414: foreach($Paths as $Path) {

415: if(file_exists($Path))

416: include($Path);

417: }

418:

Backtrace:

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/library/core/functions.error.php:124] PHP::include();

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php:414] PHP::ErrorHandler();

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/bootstrap.php:128] Gdn_PluginManager->IncludePlugins();

[/var/www/web188/html/sommerboard_v2/index.php:26] PHP::require_once();

Variables in local scope:

[EnabledPlugins] array (

'HTMLPurifier' => 'HtmlPurifier',

)

[Paths] NULL

[PluginFolder] 'HtmlPurifier'

[PluginName] 'HTMLPurifier'

[PluginInfo] array (

)

How can i fix this?

Thanks
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think it might have something to do with the mixed case of the folders. Try this: go into your plugins folder and delete all of the plugin folders. Then try to install it again.
  • I change code in class.pluginmanager to make it work: I added one if before the is_array, because i didnt have any plugin that containt a plugin.php

foreach ($EnabledPlugins as $PluginName => $PluginFolder) {
    $Paths[] = PATH_PLUGINS . DS . $PluginFolder . DS . "default.php";
    $Paths2 = glob(PATH_PLUGINS . DS . $PluginFolder . DS . "*plugin.php");
    if(is_array($Paths2)) {
    $Paths = array_merge($Paths, $Paths2);
    }
    }

Now i have another issue, i cant login, when i try to login is stay in loading. Any suggestion?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Add "signin" to your login url and see if you get any errors when you sign in. For example, on this forum, the login url is:

http://vanillaforums.org/entry

So, you could do this instead:

http://vanillaforums.org/entry/signin

This "sign in only" page doesn't do any ajax postbacks, so you should see the error that is causing your spinner of death on the regular sign in page.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm having a similar problem as MichaelEdwards --

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /path/to/garden/index.php on line 30

here are lines 28-30 from index.php. not sure what's happening with line endings in this forum, but I'm having trouble getting it to display properly so I've inserted an extra carriage return between lines:

// 3. Start the application.

if(strpos(Gdn_Url::Request(), 'gardensetup') === FALSE)

Gdn::Session()->Start(Gdn::Authenticator());

Any thoughts on this? I'm totally new to garden, I just cloned from github and created a directory alias in my local apache, and opened the url in a web browser. My guess is I'm probably missing an installation step?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    What version of PHP are you guys running?
  • I am a little behind the times on this machine. Maybe that is the problem:

PHP 4.3.10 (cli) (built: Dec 14 2004 17:48:04)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
  • sorry, I'm just getting oriented here with garden & vanilla. I found the requirements page, which probably explains why my current installation is failing

http://vanillaforums.org/page/Requirements

Server Requirements

* PHP version 5.1 or newer.

Sorry to take up your time with this, I'm working on updating...
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yep - I figured that was the problem. It didn't understand the :: syntax, I bet.
  • I've got an installation error on Linux using Xampp (cos I'm lazy and it worked just fine for V1, WP, Symphony).
    Fatal Error in PHP.ErrorHandler(); PDO::__construct() [pdo.--construct]: [2002] Invalid argument (trying to connect via unix://) The error occurred on or near: /home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/functions.validation.php 73: $Connection = new PDO( 74: $ConnectionString, 75: $DatabaseUser, 76: $DatabasePassword 77: ); 78: } catch (PDOException $Exception) { 79: return sprintf(Gdn::Translate('ValidateConnection'), strip_tags($Exception->getMessage())); 80: } 81: return TRUE; Backtrace: [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/functions.error.php:124] PHP::include(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/functions.error.php:124] PHP::ErrorHandler(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/functions.validation.php:77] PDO->__construct(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/class.validation.php:471] PHP::ValidateConnection(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/class.configurationmodel.php:185] Gdn_Validation->Validate(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/applications/garden/controllers/gardensetup.php:132] Gdn_ConfigurationModel->Validate(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/applications/garden/controllers/gardensetup.php:55] GardenSetupController->Configure(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:218] GardenSetupController->Index(); [/home/luke/Documents/sites/garden/index.php:41] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();
  • Variables in local scope: [Value] 'garden' [Field] 'dbname' [FormPostedValues] array ( 'TransientKey' => 'GVVRYRKQBGDL', 'Database.Host' => 'localhost', 'Database.Name' => 'garden', 'Database.User' => 'garden', 'Database.Password' => 'password', 'Garden.Title' => 'Vanilla 2', 'Email' => 'email@example.com', 'Name' => 'name', 'Password' => 'password', 'PasswordMatch' => 'password', 'Continue_»' => 'Continue »', ) [DatabaseHost] 'localhost' [DatabaseName] 'garden' [DatabaseUser] 'garden' [DatabasePassword] 'password' [ConnectionString] 'mysql:host=localhost;dbname=garden' Additional information for support personnel: * Application: Garden * Application Version: 1.0 * PHP Version: 5.3.0 * Operating System: Linux * Referer: http://garden/index.php/garden/gardensetup * User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090803 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.5.2 * Request Uri: /index.php/garden/gardensetup * Controller: PHP * Method: ErrorHandler

P.S. I've posted this in two comments because it was complaining the post was too long - seems a little stingy if you can't even post your error log in one go...
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Looks like XAMPP doesn't come with pdo_mysql, a PHP module you need to run Vanilla 2.