HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why minimum age is 16?

lucluc ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Feedback
Hi,

In garden/vanilla2, when I created a demo account so that people will be able to chek out the theme made by my wife (on more pages than what guest are able to view), I tried to leave out the birthday info, it was not possible. Then I tried to set it to 3 days ago (the date she started the theme), but I got a message stating I needed to be older than 16 yo.

It's seems to be in there:

library/core/functions.validation.php: // The minimum age for joining is 16 years before now.

1. Why is there such a limit? And if it's required, maybe it would be a good idea to put the value into a parameter.

2. Or maybe drop altogether the requirement for choosing a birthdate.
Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Wow, didn't realize that, good catch. I could see making it 13 because of COPPA, but 16 seems odd.
  • I dont think there should be an age limit there is no swearing of very little on here also look in

[code]
    library/core/functions.validation.php
    [/code]
    and search for 16 and change it
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm sure there was a reason - although I can't remember what it was. I say we change it :)
  • Great idea also mabey have a post count on the post bit or profiel
  • I would like this change, no one I know really can join because they're not yet 16, it's stupid. Mark... You said you would change it months ago....
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2010
    He didn't say he would change it next, he agreed it should be changed. Let's not get flippant. There's much to be done yet and this is relatively minor.
  • heh heh good pun Lincoln :)
  • lucluc ✭✭
    If I was mean, I could say, it is apparantly fixed here, on vf.org, as Bac213 was able to become a member.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    @Mark: do you want it to be 13?

Anyway, choose a number and I'll change it and do a pull request.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    If 13 is the correct age, then let's go for it. Another thing we could do is just remove the birthdate altogether and just do a checkbox with text like "I am over 13 years of age" or something like that. It would mean less work for people registering...

If we did that, I say we leave the BirthDate field in the db, don't add any new fields, and just require that the box be checked in order for the form to save.
  • @Mark, Great idea!
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I like this plan.
  • edited January 2010
    For some countries there are no such restrictions and also some people might be reluctant about sharing their age. I think that it would be cool if we could just be able to disable it.