Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What is the time line for Vanilla 2.0

HortonHorton New
edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
When do we expect the offical 2.0 Release?
Is there a FAQ about 2.0 yet.
What I have seen may change my plans for this winter.

Horton

www.BallOfSpray.com

Comments

• A very interesting question, also for me. I wonder if I will spend several hours searching and adding various add-ons the next days or better wait like a month and directly go for Vanilla 2.

And now when i already signed in: Is it recommended to install the Vanilla 2 Beta or I better wait? Can you already say if upgrading from the beta version to the final 2.0 will be possible without a lot of effort?
  • Personally, I went with Vanilla 1 as the functionality is much greater. We will upgrade once 2 is out for a few months and there are enough addons that justify the move. However, we needed forums to go up quiet quickly so if you can wait, I would wait and run the beta.
  • I'm also rather interested when Vanilla 2.0 will officially be released... Wil it be 'in a month or so' or more like 'sometime next year'?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    It once was said, it will be October. (in a post here IIRC).
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    What everyone is saying is correct. If you're looking for a stable core product, Vanilla 1 is the way to go until we make an official release of V2. We have said late October for a release before. We've had some setbacks since then, but we're working hard on the product now, so we're still hoping for that timeline.
  • thanks for the info :)
  • awesome I cant wait. It will be very refreshing for my vanilla 1 based community to poke around and play with new toys once 2 is out.
  • *bump*
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Late October isn't over til it's November :D
  • Tick Tock . . . Well is guess I would rather 2.0 be all it should be than be on time. I assume that the guys are cranking away. Is there a new realistic date?
  • i agree, its taking ever so long for the stable release, i remember them saying august was the release date, as long as they give the date of the relase i wouldnt really mind if it was january, but give us the real date. thank you
  • I can imagine it's not that easy to name a specific date. Anyway I think all of us prefer a as far as possible bug free version instead of upgrading an instable rushed Vanilla 2 every second day.

Just have a look at Blizzard's attitude - it's done when it's done! ;)
  • Now that we're into November, is there any word on progress? Are we looking at 1, 2, 3 weeks?

I have a project I'm working on and I'd love to use Vanilla 2 for it, but if it's going to be much longer than 1-2 weeks before release we might just have to go with punBB :(
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    I don't care when it comes out, but I know it'll be worth the wait when it does!
  • Hello everyone, Just heard about Vanilla 2 last week. This will be perfect for my site.
    I am patiently waiting.... Actually I cant wait until it comes out! GO MARK!
  • SS ✭✭
    Do more... faster ;)
  • can't wait either for that vanilla 2. cheer up!
  • I feel bad to be bugging about it, but is there a new deadline known for vanilla 2?

My project wants to use vanilla 2 (integrate it), but we can't (and don't want to) if it is still in beta.

I am not asking to hurry up, I'm just asking if there is any date known so that i know what to expect
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Mark has been very quiet on the matter ;) I'm sure it will be unmissable once he's comfortable announcing it. There's quite a few of us similarly chomping at the bit.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yeah - sorry about the delays. There are so many things that need work still, and we don't want to drop it until it's ready for release. Nothing sucks more than a buggy piece of software. Things just keep holding us back. For example, I had to make the CSS improvements that I recently announced. Then, I wanted to make some theme improvements to the style.css file, so I created a custom theme and started working on it - thinking I'd replace the default theme with my changes afterwards. Of course, once I started working with the new theme, I noticed all kinds of inconsistencies in the xhtml of the applications. So, I started working on fixing those.

That's how development has been going for the last few weeks (when I've had time to sit down and get development done). I do see the end, though. Pretty soon we'll be able to sit down and devote time strictly to the bug list and hammer through the remaining items.