Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

We Want Your Input on Vanilla 1.2

Comments

• OT: And in Firefox, don't forget Shift+middle-Click to open a new tab in the background ;)

Even more OT: Aww, my name linking doesn't work anymore :(
  • That's weird, for me middle-click without shift opens the tab in the background. Maybe I changed a setting and forgot
  • Remembered one: force the selection of a category when starting a new discussion.
  • Another request: Mark all comments in given category as read.
  • I don't agree with this last one: if it isn't read why should we mark it read?
    The ideal would be to mark "unread never to be read messages" as "ignored".
  • Or have a "only show unread messages since last visit" user option...
  • @fmimoso: sure that works for me. It's a feature request for one of the users of my forum that's all.

@Stash: works for me too! It would be the best option to be fair.
  • We will add any add-on (including themes ad styles) that is stable (doesn't need major changes) and maintained enough. It can be maintained by someone else than the original author as long as he understand the extension and can test it with the current version of Vanilla 1 in the repository trunk.

So far only Klaus (aka Subjunk) has added some extensions (Notifi, Whisperfi and Sirnot's HtmlFormatter).
  • @Dinoboff: After noticing major XSS attacks on an addons (TagThis), it would be a good idea to point addon writers to wapati or similar attack checkers. Just my $.02
  • I can't believe I forgot this, but for the love of god, PLEASE include Set List in the Vanilla 1.2 release. If this is in the core then plugin developers will start using it more often and we'll get generally better options for plugins!
  • I emailed Squirrel... If he cannot support it, I will add it. Squirrel's extensions are well written and easy to maintain.
  • Great news! :)
  • Would be great to have a quote function and simple text formatting options :)
  • I noticed that all unauthenticated users can see members in "search" -- it would be good if we could somewhat deny this ability or at least have the ability to choose who can see these members.
  • nice!!!! :D
  • edited January 2010
    -
  • 1. Attachments (needs some stability work - I'll be working on this soon.)
    2. Notifi (and RSS)
    3. Category permissions
    4. Comment formatting buttons (html pref) and HTML Formatter
    5. Polls (needs some work)
    6. Quoting

While I think this is a really cool idea - I'm a bit worried of inclusion of extensions into the core. I've had to fix several small bugs and deal with quirky functionality in many of the extensions I've used. I'd be more in favor of some kind of top-10 list. The community would get direction as to which extensions are the most popular without sacrificing the stability of the core forum.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    @sonofanickel: what kind of work on attachments?

I've been using it for years without issue.
  • @bean I added a post to the Attachments extension page explaining. http://www.vanillaforums.org/addon/153/attachments/150/50/ (at the bottom).
  • Why this focus on another version of 1 when 2 is in beta? Shouldn't this effort be directed at it?

Just wondering.....