Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Possible solutions

TiGRTiGR
edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
1. Let user with id 1 to be able to see forum anytime.
2. Better solution: provide customizable permission-based option to let certain user groups see forum even if it is closed (this is how it is done in all other engines).

Comments

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    I am trying to figure this out. Not yet successfully, but any code suggestions are welcome :)
  • Options
    cdavidcdavid New
    edited October 2010
    This might be useful:
    $Sender->Permission('Garden.Settings.Manage');
    This checks if the user has the 'Garden.Settings.Manage' permissions. If he has them, code goes on, if it doesn't, it displays some sort of Bonk page that says that the user does not have the necessary permissions to view this page.

On the other hand, you might try:
    $Session = Gdn::Session(); $UID = $Session->UserID; if($UID != 1){ // this is rather brutal. Let only UserID = 1 in (the initial account) //show closed.php here }

There should be more documentation in the files - look at library/core/class.session.php for the session class that might contain other things of interest.

Hope this helps,

/cd
  • Options
    Hmm, even more interesting:
    /** * Checks the currently authenticated user's permissions for the specified * permission. Returns a boolean value indicating if the action is * permitted. */ public function CheckPermission($Permission, $FullMatch = TRUE, $JunctionTable = '', $JunctionID = '')
  • Options
    Hmm not sure how I would implement. Let me tinker.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    hi cdavid was not successful using this. so still searching for a solution.

Right now this add on is better then having nothing with users visiting while you upgrade. I will work on it again later. Maybe someone else has an idea... I will search the code again
  • Options
    cdavidcdavid New
    edited January 2018
    Refined your code a bit, did not have so much time to tinker about it:
    <?php if(!defined('APPLICATION')) die(); /** * * # Maintenance Plugin for Vanilla 2 # * You can change closed.php to be whatever you want to be shown while you are closed for upgrade. * TBD: need to fix so admin can see backend without redirect. Right now quick fix is to keep another tab open * that when you are finished upgrade you can "disable the plugin". If you have a major issue, just delete the plugin. * * */ // Define the plugin: $PluginInfo['Maintenance'] = array( 'Name' => 'Vanilla Maintenance', 'Description' => '<a href="#" target="_blank">Maintenance plugin for Vanilla 2.</a>', 'Version' => '0.1', 'Author' => "Adrian Speyer", 'RequiredApplications' => array('Vanilla' => '>=2'), 'RegisterPermissions' => array('Plugins.Maintenance.Access'), ); class WebHead implements Gdn_IPlugin { public function Base_Render_Before(&$Sender) { $Session = Gdn::Session(); $URI = $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']; if(!($URI == 'p=/entry/signin') && !($Session->CheckPermission('Plugins.Maintenance.Access'))){ header( 'Location: ./plugins/Maintenance/closed.php' ) ; //$Sender->Head->AddTag('meta', array('http-equiv' => 'refresh', 'content'=>'0;URL=./plugins/Maintenance/closed.php')); } } public function Setup() { $SQL = Gdn::SQL(); $Database = Gdn::Database(); $PermissionModel = Gdn::PermissionModel(); $PermissionModel->Database = $Database; $PermissionModel->SQL = $SQL; // Define some global addon permissions. $PermissionModel->Define(array( 'Plugins.Maintenance.Access' )); // Set the initial administrator permissions. $PermissionModel->Save(array( 'RoleID' => 16, 'Plugins.Maintenance.Access' => 1 )); // Make sure that User.Permissions is blank so new permissions for users get applied. $SQL->Update('User', array('Permissions' => ''))->Put(); } }

I am running LigHTTPD on my (development) machine and did not succeed in using RewriteUrl-s, so I was not able to test with RewriteUrl-s on. If it does not work with nice URL-s, in the Setup() function, you need to save the config variable and set it to false
    SaveToConfig('Garden.RewriteUrlsPrevious', array(C('Garden.RewriteUrls'))); SaveToConfig('Garden.RewriteUrls', array(FALSE));

and implement this method:
    public function SettingsController_AfterDisablePlugin_Handler($Sender) { if($Sender->EventArguments['PluginName'] == 'Vanilla Maintenance'){ SaveToConfig('Garden.RewriteUrls', array(C('Garden.RewriteUrlsPrevious'))); RemoveFromConfig('Garden.RewriteUrlsPrevious'); } }

LE: I have not tested the small code above, only the entire plugin. It might (not) work, but I'm too tired to try now.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works and if you need more advice / explanation on what happens in the code.

/cd
  • Options
    Also updated closed.php to be:
    <html> <body> We are upgrading at this moment check back soon! If you are an authorized user, please <a href="../../index.php?p=/entry/signin">login!</a> </body> </html>
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cdavid super stuff. I have updated. The login does not work tough. It goes to loop, but in my view, if you place the forum in Maintenance you do not want visitors inside. Once again many thanks for your help.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you want to handle that, since you want to be able to login, but only if you have that permission... Maybe disable the login permission for normal users?

/cd
  • Options
    1. Let user with id 1 to be able to see forum anytime.
    I'm moving from a phpBB powered site where the user with id 1 was deleted. The admin has id 2: will the plugin understand to grant the access to the site admin?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    @candyman
    This is ID=1 in Vanilla NOT WordPress or phpBB (not that I'm very familiar with phpBB) i.e. the account you set Vanilla up with initially
    its sort of, a superadmin, I have 3 admins setup on mine but only ID=1 can edit the other admins posts since 2.0.10 although I could edit them with 2.0.9
  • Options
    @candyman, I totally agree that userid based permissions are wrong. We should use roles and permissions instead.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hi the way I saw this adddon being used was that a forum owner was in upgrade progress so they did not want anyone to access the site . It's part of my plan for releasing an automatic upgrade plugin. I am 50% done with it. Working now on restoring backup files.
  • Options
    @TIGR in all honesty cdavid helped me alot on the permission side. Not sure how I would set up as you have commented . Do you gave a code idea?
  • Options
    cdavidcdavid New
    edited January 2018
    @TiGR @candyman : So, the way I coded is that you create a permission system (Plugins.Maintenance.Access) and you can give this permission to everybody. By default, it is given to administrators, when the plugin is started, so they can log in. Normal users (who do not have this permission) can access the entry page, they can use their username and password, they can log in, but no content is displayed to them. What you might want to do is, when the plugin is started, revoke their right to login -- for members and moderators.

This is somewhat different than what @Adrian is using for, as he wants nobody to be able to log in and the process to be fully automated.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    @cdavid thank you. I think you get what I was trying to do and your code made it possible. My main inspiration is WordPress that I used for many years. In Maintenance mode,in WP WordPress, access is for admin only. It was temporary closure during the upgrade progress. This plugin and the automatic upgrade plugin I am working on are super important in my view to compete with other forum solutions.
  • Options
    But with a bit of tweaking for the permissions, this plugin achieves just that. Your complaint was that (normal) users could still login. I think this can be overriden by the great permission system Vanilla has, I just don't have any time to investigate.

If you really want to implement this by hand, you have to go to Dashboard -> Roles & Permissions -> Member / Moderator -> Edit and untick the Garden/SignIn/Allow.

I could imagine doing this in code something like (pseudocode ahead):
    Setup(): //remember which of the users has Garden.SignIn.Allow (1) //disable the Garden.SignIn.Allow permission for everybody //enable the Garden.SignIn.Allow for Administrators only DisablePlugin(): if($PluginName = 'Maintenance') //restore the Garden.SignIn.Allow permissions for all the roles saved at step (1)

For this you have to tinker with the permissions a bit, I just don't have enough time to investigate upon this now.

/cd
  • Options
    @ Cdvaid current code works fine, for what most need I think. People can always tinker. That's the beauty of open source. Maybe I will come back to this plugin, but like you I have a ton of other projects. To fiddle beyond what I needed to accomplish does not make sense.

To anyone else, any code ideas are welcome if you choose to mess around with it :)
  • Options
    So, could I get a synopsis on how this works at this point? On my system when I activate the plugin I can no longer sign in as Admin since I no longer get a usable sign in screen. I tried checking the grant access box in roles and permissions for admin but that doesn't seem to do the trick. The only way I can get it to work is to manually install/ remove the plugin. I am sure I am missing something here but how does it work?
  • Options
    cdavidcdavid New
    edited January 2018
    @Dan Devine : @adrian did not use completely the file closed.php because it does not serve his purpose.

To log in either replace the file closed.php with what I have written above or navigate to: http://__your_website__/index.php?p=/entry/signin and login with an administrator account.

/cd