Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Merge and Split discussions - possible?

edited May 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I am helping someone with their Vanilla board (completely new to it) and we cannot seem to find an option in Vanilla to split or merge a discussion - is it not implemented? Is there a plugin for it? Or maybe its possible to write on (I am a PHP dev so if theres nothing out there I'll just write something but it's the hard way)

Comments

• Options
    Can you write a plugin that splits and merges threads?
    There's no possibility to split and merge threads at the moment.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    I am currently working on a plugin, but as I am completely new to Vanilla, it can take a long time before I figure out how to use the framework. So far I managed to inject split/merge buttons using a plugin and DiscussionController_CommentOptions_Handler method. Now Im trying to figure out how to plug any actual logic under these buttons
  • Options
    At this point working on merge stuff in my plugin this is what I have:

1. a link next to the first post linking to eg. /discussion/merge/32273
    2. a method in plugin DiscussionController_merge_Create

And I am stuck not knowing how to invoke a view, where I could try rendering a form
  • Options
    $Sender->View = 'merge';
    $Sender->Render();

OK that was pretty obvious. I think I am on a good path
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Can you write a plugin that splits and merges threads?
    There's no possibility to split and merge threads at the moment.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/15420/merge-discussion-threads-in-vanilla-2#Item_3

Not sure about split.
    And maybe it wasn't on the "Garden" github, but the one with addons. I'll try to remember to have a look tomorrow.

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Yep, it's in the regular Garden github repo.

'Name' => 'Split / Merge', 'Description' => 'Allows moderators with discussion edit permission to split & merge discussions.',

=> https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/unstable/plugins/SplitMerge
  • Options
    As far as I can see its pretty useless anyway because the plugin uses framework elements that are not in Vanilla, it wopuld require me to hack the entire forum inside out but maybe i can use some of it to write an actual plugin
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    It might just use elements that are in unstable that's all.

I don't see the core dev creating and pushing to github something useless.
  • Options
    Its not useless in general, but it just has no application in my case. I would need to move a lot of unstable code to the live install to make it work, and it would probably not work.

But I can try figuring out how the logic is supposed to work, and use it in my own plugin that would work on stable Vanilla