Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Discussion Links returning 404. Wordpress & Vanilla

edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,
Really hope someone can help with this as I'm completely baffled.

Overnight this forum : http://bangthebore.org/borum/ has started returning 404 messages (in the wordpress site accessed by the root url bangthebore.org) when you follow any link to a discussion thread. Click one of the discussions and you'll see what I mean (not the top discussion - that URL happens to connect up to a wordpress article which shares the alias "a" - but that's true of any url of the form bangthebore.org/ANYSTRINGHERE/a/ - so to my inexperienced eyes, just looks like wordpress is stepping in in the absence of vanilla handling the URL)

I've tried returning the entire contents of the site's file system, the vanilla database and the wordpress database to a backup prior to the error, but the same problem occurs regardless.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• Options

Hi - I am having the same issue suddenly, since about 3pm Pacific time today.

All links on the boards go to a 404 page on the wordpress main site. WP site is not affected.

Sign out button also goes to a 404 page, as does Dashboard. So I am unable to log in to the Admin side of the boards.

BlueHost says they have made no changes to the server or files.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Options

Hey guys, I think you had the same issues as I did, which I eventually figured out over on this thread: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18920/inbox-not-found

Long story short, BlueHost rolled out an Apache update and it caused an edit to the forum .htaccess file to become necessary. Hope that link helps!

• Options

Hi bxbean, thanks for the reply. I saw your previous comment and asked about that when I called BlueHost. They told me that my site's server is still on the old Apache and has not been upgraded or changed at all.

I tried the .htaccess fix you suggested anyway and nothing happened, all links still go to 404 page.

Any other ideas? Really need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks!

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Tanks peregrine... try what specifically? If you mean the .htaccess line 6 change that bxbean suggested, I tried that and it did nothing.

If you mean something else, could you please repost it here for clarity? Thanks!

• Options

OK well I called BH tech support again and the tech today put me on hold, did some tweaking, and now it works. He said it was something that had changed on the server. Last night, no answer, today, fixed.

Yay!