Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing the language / Text of the "Options Tab"

edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi guys, can someone please tell me where do i change the text of the posts status "Announcement", "Announce", Unannounce, "Close", "Reopen", "Sink" etc. thanks. Bond.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2012

the easiest way is to create /conf/locale.php

//with this info in it.
    $Definition['Announce'] = 'myannounce';
    $Definition['Unannounce'] = 'myunannounce';
    $Definition['Close'] = 'myclose';

if you are doing lots of changes to locale best to read the documentation on locales and internationalization and follow those instructions.  The above is a simple way to make some changes.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/localization

make a copy of locale.php called orig-locale.php in conf - so when you upgrade you have a copy in case it gets overwritten during install upgrade process.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks! but how do i figure what is the right text im entering. for example, if i wanted to change the "Announcement" to "Solved", how do i know the exact wording i should use. In other words, where do i find the right string of the text i wish to change?

• Works like a charm, thanks!

• By the way, is there a way to add a status to the Options list? like "In Progress" ?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2012

if you ever wonder what some definitions are.

you can use the localedeveloper plugin (I believe) or you can look through the code
    with grep (if you don't know grep search on the web how to use and in this forum for discussions)

• translatable items are usually surrounded by T(....)

you can also download some locale translation addons and they will have lists of definitions.

the left side of definition in brackets is what you are looking for and right side is what you want it changed to.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.