Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla System Bot

Hello. I would like to make use of the System Bot for Vanilla. I heard in another discussion similar to this I created and they said to use addons. I searched, but could not see any that could allow you to use the System Bot in the self managed version of Vanilla. And, if I were to create an addon to be able to do this, what code would I use to allow the System Bot to do this in a discussion: "@System CLOSE DISCUSSION"?

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

That's a plugin named "Minion" that @Tim wrote. I have no idea if he plans to release it as open source ever, but I assume he would've done so already if he intended to.

I'll say this: it's not a terribly complicated thing if you wanted to take a crack at making one.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2014

Tim is already giving me shit about implying Minion is simple, so I will clarify: the parts you've see for show on this site are simple to do. Minion has actually grown into a crazy complicated beast of a plugin that does a lot of things. It's primarily used by Penny Arcade on their forum.

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Currently no plans to release Minion as an open source plugin, but as @Lincoln said the small amount of functionality you're looking for to support closing discussions is extremely easy.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options

I hook into this event for my parsing:

PostController_AfterDiscussionSave_Handler

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I imagine the recently released Shwaip Bot plugin by @Lincoln would be an excellent starting point as well.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@Tim @Lincoln I cannot find it on the Addons page: "Minion" (without quotations)

@hgtonight I will see if it works and report back. Thanks!

• Options

@ilovetech please see my post above where I explicitly state that I do NOT plan to release Minion for general download.

• Options

@hgtonight @Lincoln What code do I add to be able to make it close discussions, and announce discussions?

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

You'll need to do some investigation to accomplish this. We're not going to explain how to build it line-by-line.

• Options

You would want to find the discussion ID, instantiate the discussion model, then set the close and announce discussions as appropriate.

In any case where you are using functionality that already exists, you can "cheat" and copy the existing controller code into your plugin. For example, to close a discussion, you normally click on the Close link in the discussion options menu. Inspecting this link shows it is in the form of http://forum.example.com/vanilla/discussion/close/2/P5OIKA0AI4D8. This tells us we need to go to the vanilla application, find the discussion controller, and inspect the Close() method. In the case of 2.0.18.10, you will find it on line 480 of the class.discussioncontroller.php file.

You basically can copy that method into your plugin (ignore the rendering and redirecting code).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Tim did minion grow into something like this? :)

• Options

Lol. Minion core is about 2,500 lines of code but I have coded several plugins for it which add new commands and functionality, including some games, so I'd have to say its sitting at around 10,000 LOC if you include all the various addons.

Crazy.

• Options

@Tim Well, when can I download it?

• Options

Well, I do understand your last post about it @Tim, but I'm asking about Private Downloads

• Options

Unfortunately you can't download it.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Tim said:
    Lol. Minion core is about 2,500 lines of code but I have coded several plugins for it which add new commands and functionality, including some games, so I'd have to say its sitting at around 10,000 LOC if you include all the various addons.

Crazy.

I thought it was worse. My Awards plugin is about 12000, a plugin I wrote for Captain Hook (i.e. WordPress) is 18000. :D

• Options

@hgtonight I got the data. There's just one part I am trying hard to find. "How to limit it to Admins and staff"

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

You can do a conditional check on the user ID or role IDs of the user of a post or if the user of a post has a permission.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

So: array('Garden.User.Announce'),

At the beginning of the function code?

• Options

Something like:

if(!Gdn::Session()->CheckPermission('Permission.To.Check')) return;

Search first