Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hiding "Inbox" link in v2.1, Bitter Sweet theme

Brand new newbie here, please be gentle. :)

I've disabled Conversations in my forum (V2.1, using Bitter Sweet theme), but I haven't been able to remove the "Inbox" link from the menu. I've searched and tried a couple of the suggestions but I'm not doing something right. Help!? TIA.

Comments

• Options

Search into the bittersweet theme map for Default.master.tpl should be in the /views map.

delete the line

{inbox_link}

That should be fine... when u want it back just add it on the same place.

• Options

default.master.tpl opens a Stickies app when following this path:

forum/themes/bittersweet/views/default.master.tpl

Not seeing any code here, just Stickies popping up when I try to open and edit...

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to open that file with a text editor , http://www.sublimetext.com

Kasper told me to use this and I have never looked back what is more, it tells you what the errors are in the syntax and you learn from that.

• Options
    SchryversSchryvers
    edited July 2014

What????

Just go on your harddisk to the map views right click on the tpl file and click edit.. or open with.. then search for inbox_link and delete the whole line.

just open it with notepad...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@Schryvers said:

Search into the bittersweet theme map for Default.master.tpl should be in the /views map.

delete the line

{inbox_link}

That should be fine... when u want it back just add it on the same place.

or just change it to (add asterisk after open bracket and before closing bracket to turn the tag to a comment.)

{*inbox_link*}

which essentially comments it out.

then you have a reference that you don't have to remember if you want to make it actionable. (just remove the asterisks.)

and don't forget to change the mobile theme as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    kaiasgramkaiasgram New
    edited July 2014

Thanks guys -- Normally Cyberduck opens files with TextEdit but didn't on the tpl file until I corrected it. In TextEdit I removed the {inbox_link} and saved, but when I returned to my forum I got a "Something Has Gone Wrong" error page. I tried replacing the original tpl file and I'm still getting the error page. I can get into the Dashboard but can't get into my forum at all now.

peregrine, thanks for your suggestion and I wish I'd seen it before I started editing. Am I going to have to reinstall the forum software or the theme again or is there an easier fix?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Text Edit opens it in a txt format or rtf but that messes it up and when you upload you get error, I ran into this problem myself and now I use Sublime Text just try it http://www.sublimetext.com

• Options
    kaiasgramkaiasgram New
    edited July 2014

Yep, I've been figuring this out (the limitations of TextEdit). I'll see if ST is available for Mac.

• Options

I use a Mac that is why I suggested this, it is available for all the systems.

• Options

Yikes! $70 -- any other ways to fix this file?

• Options

BTW, thanks for your help -- I'm on a steep learning curve, but I am learning :\

• Options

You can use the trial version for a while, it is worth every penny because you can use it to edit all types of files not just tpl.

http://www.imore.com/best-free-and-paid-text-editors-mac

• Options

I downloaded the trial version of SE and it saved the file as HTML. I'm wondering if it's too late to save my tpl file because it got opened in TextEdit?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yes if you opened it in Text edit and saved it is shot. You need to download a fresh copy and edit it with sublime then save as and choose tpl

• Options

Oh I am so sad! Any way to get a fresh copy of just that tpl file?

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Yes you don't need to reinstall the whole thing just get that file out of the theme edit and upload.

• Options

Apparently my OS is too old (10.6.8) to retrieve the file from github and replace it on my forum. Hey, thanks anyway guys for trying to help.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@kaiasgram said:
    Thanks guys -- Normally Cyberduck opens files with TextEdit but didn't on the tpl file until I corrected it.

Use BBEdit for editing code. http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/ (Free)

It is good for opening files directly too.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

@kaiasgram said:
    Apparently my OS is too old (10.6.8) to retrieve the file from github and replace it on my forum. Hey, thanks anyway guys for trying to help.

Copy and paste the text from github into a .txt file. Make the edit. Then rename the file default.master.tpl and upload to your server.