Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"Could not instantiate mail function" in 2.1.1 on BlueHost

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭

The subject line pretty much covers the problem. It came up out of nowhere, while trying to create and send notifications to new users: Five people got the email, the last did not, and when I tried to simply reset her password, I got this message (and continue to get it).

Nothing has changed on the forum or the server (as far as I know) between the fifth and sixth user setup.

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

is the email address valid? or is it blocked on the receivers end? for the user that doesn't receive e-mail.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Yeah. I'm sending emails back and forth with the user, using the same address (and copy-pasted from the one I typed into the forum).

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

and if you reset the sixth users notification preferences (and also set mention for e-mail) and then mention them does e-mail get sent out and do they have spam filters blocking from what and whoever you use to send email smtp or whatever on your host.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Is it possible that the forum's ability to mail notifications and alerts is being throttled by the hosting site in some way? Poking around, I'm starting to see more than a few messages I should have been notified about in the last few hours, none of which came in.

I just sent the admin account a private message, which I know is set up to send me a notification, and that didn't happen either.

Hrm.

• Options

talk to your host.

• Options

do you by chance have advanced notifications set up for all your users. e.g. all comments get sent out to everyone?

• Options
    edited August 2014

@peregrine said:
    do you by chance have advanced notifications set up for all your users. e.g. all comments get sent out to everyone?

Yup.

my back of the napkin math would indicate that we're sending out more than 2,000 email messages on a busy day.

that isn't a feature we can decide not to use, however, it's part and parcel of running a live campus online.

• Options

that' might be part of your problem - you might be flagged as a spammer somewhere. or the mail server you are using can't handle it.

• Options
    edited August 2014

This might be unrelated, but this is the errorlog generated by the forum in the last few days:

[16-Aug-2014 11:06:25 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:07:07 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:07:40 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:08:19 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:08:52 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:09:31 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:10:02 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:10:30 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:10:58 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:11:24 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:11:56 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:39:41 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:45:30 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:56:42 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 11:56:50 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 12:01:59 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 12:03:30 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[16-Aug-2014 12:03:43 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

--- Pretty sure this batch of six is just one of my faculty trying to attach a stupidly huge PDF to a post. ---

[17-Aug-2014 19:04:27 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 11161826 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[17-Aug-2014 19:13:26 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 11161826 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[17-Aug-2014 19:15:58 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 11161826 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 07:15:28 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 11161826 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 08:31:45 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 11161832 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 10:16:04 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 11161836 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

--- This is right around where the email notifications stopped going out. ---

[18-Aug-2014 11:12:32 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 34567419 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 11:26:58 America/Denver] PHP Warning: POST Content-Length of 34567419 bytes exceeds the limit of 10485760 bytes in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 12:35:58 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 12:37:10 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 12:38:08 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

[18-Aug-2014 16:40:36 America/Denver] PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

How many categories do you have?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    edited August 2014

191, at the moment. Students all have private space with each of their faculty, and private 'gradebook' categories that only they and the registrar can see, and off course there's the classrooms etc. The activity spike at the start of this week is pretty pronounced.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Is there a way to set up a different mail server as the forum's default, rather than using the BlueHost server? The workshop uses Google Apps Education (GAE) and the IT guy sent me all the info I'd probably need to set up that as the mail server.

Edit: nevermind I found it.

• Options

I would definitely suggest using an SMTP server for all your mail.

I only asked about the categories because this error: "PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0" is known to be found when sorting categories over 200. I would be greatly interested to know what access causes this error.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Is there a way I can dig that information up? I'd love to know as well.

• Options
    edited August 2014

@hgtonight I apologize - I miscounted the categories (scrolling through the list on my phone) - I counted 229 on my full-size screen, and it's actually 231 rows in GDN_Category in the database, right now.

We have to keep the old categories around for at least a year after the class wraps up, so once we're into our third semester, I'd guess we'll be topping out around 300 categories.

• Options
    edited August 2014

According to that message, you are only able to sort the first 200 categories. Sorting anything after that will cause the sort tree to be corrupted. No data will be lost, but the sort order could look funny.

If you need to sort things after category 200, you need to increase that PHP setting to 5x the number of categories.

Search first

• Options

@hgtonight said:

If you need to sort things after category 200, you need to increase that PHP setting to 5x the number of categories.

Is that something I can change inside the Vanilla install, or which I need to do 'higher up'?

• Options

you could probably ini_set in bootstrap. But your host may be able to provide a better way for you by changng the php.ini file. Check out the php pages (official php documentation), Talk to your host as well.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php

• Options

@DoyceT said:
    Is that something I can change inside the Vanilla install, or which I need to do 'higher up'?

This is a limitation of your PHP configuration not Vanilla, @peregrine knows what he is talking about. :)

Vanilla could probably send a category count along with the tree sort information and throw a warning/not save the incomplete tree.

Search first