Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

want to be able to delete users

edited March 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Have a few users that applied to join but never came in... or commented..... I want to clean up the member list delete user profiles...

how can I do that, if its done through the database, how do I find the table etc... thanks

Comments

• Options
    delete members extension
  • Options
    thanks!
  • Options
    I want to not show banned users in the user-list. And perhaps remove the link from the comments to the banned user. Is there anyway i can achieve this? Or i can put this in another way. I wanna be able to delete users without deleting everything they have said! Having them just banned works fine if they then weren't accessible to anyone but the admins.
  • Options
    JDWJDW New
    edited April 2007
    Now that it is well known the Delete User extension does NOT work in the current version of Vanilla, what is the solution? Clearly, marking people as "banned" is not a solution here. It's confusing and absolutely NOT TRUE. You are not banning anyone. You just want to delete them! Why? I don't know. Does it matter? What if I am setting up Vanilla and I want to create test users and later delete them? I don't want that cluttering up my board in the Banned User section!

So I ask you, how can one now "easily delete" users (without hacking server files)? If there is no way, can some enterprising person create a way?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    The best way is to use myPHPadmin and delete users directly in the database.
    Doing it via an extension is too complex because (apparently) it created orphaned comments, discussions...

Posted: Monday, 2 April 2007 at 10:57AM

• Options
    Wanderer, many thanks for your speedy reply.

I am a Mac user with no php experience (which is what made Vanilla appeal to me over phpBB -- easy implementation). I've never used myPHPadmin nor do I know anything about it. In light of this, would you have any specific recommendations for me?

Thank you!
  • Options
    Sorry, it's actually "phpMyAdmin" and your host should have it available for you.

I'm a Mac user too with no PHP experience when I started playing with forums and such.

It's a bit overwhelming at first but you should be able to work out where the users are listed then delete the row. Perhaps you should work on a test forum but definitely back up before you play. Oh and phpMyAdmin also gives you a tool to back up your database.

Set aside a little time and play, you'll work it out.

Posted: Monday, 2 April 2007 at 11:32AM

• Options
    Wanderer, thanks again for the quick feedback. Good to hear there are other Vanilla enthusiasts in the same situation as myself.

Where does one obtain a copy of phpMyAdmin?

Thank you!
  • Options
    phpMyAdmin is usually installed on the server, it is an interface with database management tools.

Ask your host support people how to access it.

Posted: Monday, 2 April 2007 at 11:50AM

• Options
    @jdw what your probably looking for is http://phpmyadmin.myforum.com obvisouly "myforum.com" needs to be substituted, but its generally access with a alias like this. You will need login and password. most times the login is your domain (ie "myforum.com") and you should have been told the password by your webhost. If u have a password used elsewhere in the service, I suggest using that. if u cant find any, you will have to contact your webhost and get it. once you get in there, you want to click on the table (not html table, but database table) called "LUM_User" and then click on "browse". then you will either have to do a bit of complicated SQL search of manually searching for the row (every instance in a database is essentially a row) that contain the user you want to delete. Mark it and select the X or delete action at the bottom of the page. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi, (I'm French so sorry for bad english) I'm in the same situation: I created test users, and I want to delete them before opening finished forum to public. I understood "Delete user" extension worked with older version of vanilla, why does it not with actual version ? And when can we have an upgrade of "Delete User" working ? I suppose until that I will have to call a phpmyadmin-friendly guy... Or maybe, change name of test user: Exemple or Test will become Guillaume or Valérie. Yeah, I found the easiest way ^^
  • Options
    phpmyadmin is pretty much as userfriendly as it gets. take a look at it before you give that up :)
  • Options
    Wanderer & Mr Do, thank you for the replies.

In my server control panel (on Serverlogistics) I have a number of different icons, one of which is "MySQL Settings". I clicked on that and it pulled up phpMyAdmin! Here is a screen shot. You'll notice that "jdwages" has a (0) next to it. This is the mySQL database that existed from when I first setup my account with ServerLogistics. I set that database to be used with Vanilla when I setup Vanilla for the first time. However, no tables have ever been created in the database, even though I have created test discussions. So there is no "LUM_User" in existence! Do you think this why I cannot change my Administrator settings, as posted here?

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    if u click the pulldown of databases, are there any others? do you have more than one site on this webhost? if so maybe you got the databases mixed up? the tables are somewhere on the host, or else your forum wouldnt have been installed...
  • Options
    There are two databases, the one I reported above (jdwages with 0 tables in it) and another which I created a few months ago for another purpose. But like I said, I know for a fact that I chose the "jdwages" database when I first installed Vanilla. I made no mistake about that. And yet, there are no tables in jdwages! Why?!?

But to prove I'm not going insane, here's a screen shot of the contents of my other database (which had these same 16 tables in it prior to my even installing Vanilla).

Also, you are telling me that if I did not setup my database correctly my "forum wouldn't have been installed." But that's not true. I hand-copied all the files onto my server via my FTP client (Transmit) -- and such is what defines "installation." But perhaps you meant to say, "your forum wouldn't work if you didn't setup your database right"? Perhaps. I don't know. But I can create new discussions, and that text is being saved SOMEWHERE! But I don't know where. Like I said, I only have the two databases, and the one I specifically chose for Vanilla ("jdwages") has zero tables in it!

Am I losing my mind here! I'm starting to think Vanilla is a bit over my head. I had hoped it would be easy and straightforward!
  • Options
    if u open the forum/conf/database.php file.. what does it say there? (ps dont give us the password :P)
  • Options
    Mr Do, many thanks for the speedy reply.

Here is a screen shot of the contents of my database.php (with my user name and PSW blacked-out). As you can see, the correct "jdwages" database is specified -- and yet, it contains no tables!!
  • Options
    very strange indeed. do you use the same username and password that stands in the vanilla setting file when logging into phpmyadmin? you (the user your logged in as in php) dont have access level enough for the viewing the table. either you must have a higher level access login or you probably need to ask your host to help you out with the correct privileges
  • Options
    JDWJDW New
    edited April 2007
    Yes. In order to gain full access to my server control panel (a part of which is phpMyAdmin), I must type in that same User Name and Password (which I blacked out in my screen shot). That gives me full access (full power) to do whatever I wish.

Here's another screen shot showing that I have the power to create a new table in jdwages. So if I can create this manually, what's preventing Vanilla from doing its job?

Also keep in mind that I have created two Admin accounts and one Member account. I can save Member settings, but for whatever reason, I cannot save Admin settings. I can create new discussions with any of my 3 accounts. So if Vanilla is indeed storing its data in MySQL, then how could I have created these 3 accounts and new discussions? They are being saved somewhere, but where?? They are clearly not in my "jdwages" database.

(It's late in the evening here in Japan, so I will be signing off until morning. I look forward to reading any suggestions you might have on how to solve this mysterious problem. I'm truly eager to get my forum up and running! Thanks!)
  • Options
    you can see from your original screenshot that you do not in fact have all privileges, as it says "Create Database: No privileges" This is very strange indeed. Do you know how to do sql queries in php? If so try to write a php file (that is not part of vanilla) that takes out and inserts into this new table you made in phpmyadmin. check if u can get info out of the LUM tables. If this works, and you still cant see the tables in phpmyadmin, I advice you to contact support from ur host, as im clueless :)