Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Things that never seem to get answered or attended to.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

what gives? Just plain broken or impossible to solve.

minion plugin?
http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=minion

feed discussions problems - does it work for anybody?
too numerous to present all the comments

removing duplicate plugin social login - even though author has tries in vain to get it removed.
http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/164340/#Comment_164340

"Cannot call method 'adjustHeight' of undefined"
http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/162948/#Comment_162948

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

I must admit, I am getting infuriated with it all too.

I understand this area is open src, but I use lots of OpenSrc products, and to be honest this particular sector of Vanilla could do with a spring clean and a little TLC.

It is kind of weird, because this OS area, is the absolute backbone of Vanilla. It propagates Vanilla and propels sales to the Paid version. So to overlook these kind of attributes and issues is tedious.

My absolute biggest pet peeve is search, I still cannot believe this hasnt been addressed, and fixed.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

After spending almost 3 years with Vanilla, and hoping it to go better, I am frustrated as well esp with plugins.
    I almost feel like forking the project and sticking with a core set of plugins that work.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2012

422 said:
    I understand this area is open src, but I use lots of OpenSrc products, and to be honest this particular sector of Vanilla could do with a spring clean and a little TLC.

It is kind of weird, because this OS area, is the absolute backbone of Vanilla. It propagates Vanilla and propels sales to the Paid version. So to overlook these kind of attributes and issues is tedious.

Wait till 2.1 comes out. I think all the guys are working on that version instead of looking at the addons site. I can understand the frustration, I just cannot do anything about it untill 2.1 comes out and we make an effort for the cleanup.

My absolute biggest pet peeve is search, I still cannot believe this hasnt been addressed, and fixed.

I think the search has been fixed in the meantime, I can remember Lincoln posing in a thread about it. Something was wrong with the cache and he fixed it (couple of weeks ago)

mclovin said:
    After spending almost 3 years with Vanilla, and hoping it to go better, I am frustrated as well esp with plugins.
    I almost feel like forking the project and sticking with a core set of plugins that work.

Patience is a virtue. We've got plenty of work to do once 2.1 is ready to be released.
    If you're still not happy after the spring cleaning and the 2.1 version, fork away, but I would wait till the 2.1 version for now...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

How much time could this possibly entail, or is 2.1 a prequisite for removing a duplicate.

removing duplicate plugin social login - even though author has tries in vain to get it removed. http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/164340/#Comment_164340

Patience is a virtue. We've got plenty of work to do once 2.1 is ready to be released. If you're still not happy after the spring cleaning and the 2.1 version, fork away, but I would wait till the 2.1 version for now...>

underdog - when you say spring cleaning - do you mean 2.1 will be out next spring?? :):)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2012

peregrine said:
    How much time could this possibly entail, or is 2.1 a prequisite for removing a duplicate.

No, it's not. Just all guys are working really hard on 2.1 and I would let them work on it instead of disturbing them for something as simple as a duplicate addon on the addons site.

underdog - when you say spring cleaning - do you mean 2.1 will be out next spring?? :):)

I don't like that joke.

The spring cleaning will most likely be an overhaul of all the addons that are on the addons site at the moment. Install all the addons with 2.1, see if they unzip, install correctly, conflicts with other addons, rate them, like them.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

I don't like that joke. >

I'l retract it - feel free to delete the post I can't.

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I've deleted the feed discussions and that social login plugin. Happy?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

Glad that you removed the duplicate. thanks @Todd.

I resolved most of my problems with the feeddiscussions. Glad I got it, before you deleted it. Think it should have been left up and a note that it may have some problems and that you were working on fixing them or were going to in the future with an estimated date when you might be able to get to it. In that way, people would get some sense the problem would be addressed at some time and there would be more patience.

It is due to my extremely slow conection, which wouldn't be the case on a normal forum.

Most of my issues were with timing issue and I think a bug in curl's setopt in timing.

I got thrown off the track because of proxyrequest function in class.proxyrequest.php
    and in general functions.php.

Kept on getting not valid xml when trying to add feed - when it was a valid xml - but it returned a red-herring error message.

for:
    class.feeddiscussions.plugin.php

if you ever decide to work on it

$RSSData should be parsed to see if it says error and should throw out the timing error if there is one

before going here

$RSSData = simplexml_load_string($FeedRSS);

my kluges here.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/164509/#Comment_164509

• Options

@Todd
    I have been running FeedDiscussions for a while. Every now and then I run into problems, and usually its something minor. Rather than deleting all the plugins that don't work perfectly (it would be almost all of them), you should probably spend some time with the plugins and fix it.