Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Just Moved From PHPBB - How does moderation work in Vanilla 2

ConradConrad New
edited May 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

OK, I just migrated over a medium sized forum to Vanilla 2.

Everything except role permissions came over. I have set up normal users as per the roles and permissions video - seems OK. I really want to like it, but am completely and utterly confused by how the moderation is supposed to work.

What permissions should a moderator have? I have enabled the following permissions for a moderator (on top of normal member permissions)

Garden>Manage>Moderation

Conversations>Moderation>Manage

Default Category Permissions>Discussions>Close,Delete,Edit

Default Category Permissions>Comments>Delete,Edit

I have enabled the 'Flag' plugin and have the following permission set for that

Plugins>Flagging>Notify

However when a moderator logs in there seems to be no way for them to access the moderation tools.

The documentation seems very lacking in explaining this, and so

How is this supposed to work?

Conrad Winchester

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2013

Welcome to the community!

The flagging plugin requires Garden.Settings.Manage permissions to view flagged content. Moderators should now have access to a limited dashboard (link in the menu). I would also suggest enabling the Split/Merge plugin.

Does this solve your issue?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Conrad @hgtonight

Rather than Split/Merge, I would suggest Split/Merge FE for moderators. It has a bit more functionality.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@whu606 I had never heard of the Split/Merge FE plugin before. Thanks for the heads up :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@whu606 said:
    Rather than Split/Merge, I would suggest Split/Merge FE for moderators. It has a bit more functionality.

I'm on 2.1b1. Are you sure it's a better idea to use Split/Merge FE instead of Split/Merge that comes with the core? That addon is from September 2011, and I could not see any benefit over normal Split/Merge.

• Options

@MasterOne

As the blurb for the FE plugin makes clear:

CHANGES FROM ORIGINAL SPLIT/MERGE PLUGIN

• allow move comments to other existing discussion
  • Options
    MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2013

@whu606

Ok, convinced, just swapped Split/Merge for Split/Merge FE.

Now I am experiencing similar problems as the discussion starter, I think I have messed up the permission settings for my moderators. This is what it looks like now:

• Does Garden >> AdvancedNotifications >> Allow make sense for a moderator?
    • What's Garden >> Messages >> Manage supposed to do and does that option make sense for a moderator?
    • Is Garden >> Moderation >> Manage required for a moderator and what does it do exactly?
    • I guess Garden >> Settings >> View is required for a moderator to access the (limited) dashboard, right?
    • Is Garden >> Users >> Approve required for a moderator, although registration is set to "Basic"?
    • What's Conversations >> Moderation >> Manage supposed to do and does that option make sense for a moderator?
    • What are Vanilla >> Approval >> Require and Vanilla >> Comments >> Me for exactly?
    • What's Plugins >> WhosOnline >> Manage for?

I wish there were detailed instructions for all permission settings, after all this is one major component of a forum.

I want my moderators to have full controll of all moderation related features in the forum, and access to all Dashboard >> Moderation features.

I have played around for hours now, but I really don't want to rely on trial and error.

It seems like only Garden >> Moderation >> Manage and Garden >> Users >> Approve together enable the necessary links in MeBox >> Account Options and allow access to the limited dashboard. Garden >> Settings >> View is not required after all for enabling access to the limited dashboard?

What permission setting is required for seeing the statistics in Dashboard >> Dashboard? Because with the two above mentioned settings a moderator only sees the following in the upper part of Dashboard >> Dashboard and it stays that way:

Any help setting the permission right is highly appreciated.

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

If this helps, here are my moderator perms for my 2.1 test

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@Tama

Thanks, but I really would like to have an explanation for the settings as written in my comment above.

Just seen in your screenshot: In my plain Vanilla 2.1b1 test installation there is another entry called Garden >> Curation >> Manage as well, but it's not in my final installation. What's that about?

• Options

As soon as you find out, can you document it on the Vanilla Wiki please. Just make a page 'Moderation' and then fill all the information with interesting pages

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@whu606 said:

Well, just discovered a problem with Split/Merge FE on 2.1b1: When I select a comment, and try to move it, I get just a small empty overlay box at the top of the comment besides the tick box:

No idea how to analyze this problem. Do you use or did you try Split/Merge FE on 2.1?

Without that comment move feature it does not have any advantage, which means I'll move back to standard Split/Merge if I can not find a solution.

• Options

be extremely careful with tools split/merge

make sure you forum has a back regime, you should do this as a matter of course.

secondly never never use javascript minifiers, they are flawed methodology especially done on the fly, and often break scripts, if you use a minify and a tool like that, you could end up doing something you really didn't intend.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@MasterOne

I hadn't noticed that.

Have you reported it on the thread for the Split FE plugin?

• Options

@x00 said:
    be extremely careful with tools split/merge. make sure you forum has a back regime, you should do this as a matter of course. secondly never never use javascript minifiers, they are flawed methodology especially done on the fly, and often break scripts, if you use a minify and a tool like that, you could end up doing something you really didn't intend.

You mean split/merge being dangerous in general?

I can't imagine a forum without that functionality. No idea what a minifier is, will have to read up on that one. Daily backup will be done by the hoster, don't think I can add to that.

@whu606 said:
    I hadn't noticed that.
    Have you reported it on the thread for the Split FE plugin?

Will do so now.

• Options

Hopefully the creator, or someone knowledgeable, will be able to find a fix.