Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

about Reactions, Badges, Gamification

ChanuxChanux Admin of Geek.lk ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

can i get Reactions, Badges, Gamification features with vanilla free version..

Best Answer

• Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

For the moment no.
    Looking at the brand new homepage that promises "more features" for Vanilla hosting compared to the open source version, I wonder if they would ever be available for the free version.
    Only developers can give you an answer. Free Vanilla is a great gift already, I would understand if theyìll prefer to keep some killer features for the payment version only.
    Maybe they could explain their intents to the community: I think many people out there are only waiting for badges for migrating to Vanilla...

Answers

• Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

For the moment no.
    Looking at the brand new homepage that promises "more features" for Vanilla hosting compared to the open source version, I wonder if they would ever be available for the free version.
    Only developers can give you an answer. Free Vanilla is a great gift already, I would understand if theyìll prefer to keep some killer features for the payment version only.
    Maybe they could explain their intents to the community: I think many people out there are only waiting for badges for migrating to Vanilla...

• Options

@Chanux said:
    can i get Reactions, Badges, Gamification features with vanilla free version..

These extra features show up only in the hosted version. Problem is I want to own my software and database. I'd pay for the software but I don't know enough about Vanilla as a company to trust a forum strategy to their hosting service.

Also, while the basic code is open source they don't have anywhere near the size of a community compared to Wordpress, drupal or other open initiatives.

And, it bugs me that vanilla apparently offers no support (not even email) for the 49 dollar package.

• Options

I do agree with the previous statement. Vanilla has the potential to be the best forum solution out there (yes even better than phpBB or vBulletin. However the strategy they seek to mometize their concept might work better if they add another offer alongside their paid subscription. Like Wordpress they should start a network of Forum (with pages and blogs in options) and make it like that : myawesomeforum.vanilla.com etc...
    And they sell ads on these free sites etc...

Besides they need to give more tools and updates for vanilla.org users, this will allow them to open a marketplace where they can get a % of sales on themes and plugins and apps etc...

just my 2cents of € lol.

((Steo))

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Steo

It's always interesting to see how the best way Vanilla can apparently run their business seems to match exactly what the particular poster would like to see available...

• Options

I agree, I would pay to unlock these features in the open source version, I'd rather not have to have Vanilla host the forum!

• Options

@FabulousPanda, welcome to the community! Check out the Yet Another Gamification Application, Awards Plugin, Peregrine Badges, and the Peregrine Reactions plugins.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@FabulousPanda said:
    I agree, I would pay to unlock these features in the open source version, I'd rather not have to have Vanilla host the forum!

if you use my plugins ,Peregrine Badges, and the Peregrine Reactions plugins. there is an option to donate in the settings. However you may choose the other plugins mentioned by Shadowdare and @businessdad and @hgtonight would be glad to receive donations as well, I'm sure for the work put into those features.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@FabulousPanda If you want something that looks almost exactly like this site's system, try Yaga (Yet Another Gamification Application) because @hgtonight makes it look almost exactly like it, but it's your personal preference. This is just a recommendation. Your preference beats a recommendation in a race.

• Options

I'm not running the 2.1 beta unfortunately, should I be?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Nope. 2.1b2 is a very stable beta, so under special circumstances you can use it, but the official advice is you should stick to the most stable version and that is 2.0.8.10.