Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"New Discussion" tag on entirely unread discussions

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

So we're looking at the Discussion list in Vanilla 2.1 stable, with the default theme, and we see this:

And we've one conversation where there are thirty comments, out of which we haven't seen three (which we know from the bright yellow tag/count).

And we have one conversation where we haven't seen any comments. Which we only know us is unread from the subtle not-gray background, but not much else.

So Instead: On the completely unread, never-been-viewed conversation, I'd like to have a similarly formatted yellow-background message that says something like "New Discussion!"

Anyone have a good suggestion about where I'd need to make that sort of change?

Comments

• Options

not sure what you mean.

unless you want something like this

HasNew, .JustNew {
        display: inline;
        margin-right: 5px;
    }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Using the image above: On the first discussion, I'd like to see - right after "5 comments" - a yellow-background thing that says "New Discussion!" that basically looks like the "3 new" bit in the second discussion.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014
    HasNew, .JustNew {
    display: inline;
    margin-right: 5px;
    }

you chould see new popping up with above change.

and translate the new with definitions.

$Definition['new discussion'] = 'new discussion';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Basically, peering at Firebug, I'd like to replace this:

<span class="MItem MCount DiscussionScore Hidden">
    <strong class="HasNew JustNew NewCommentCount" title="You haven't read this yet.">new</strong>

With something like this:

<strong class="HasNew NewCommentCount" title=“All new discussion!.">
    All New!
    </strong>

But I'm not sure where that happens.

• Options

Ahh, after I posted my replies I realized you'd answered my questions.

I'd like to change the "new" to something, but your css fix totally does what I was hoping for, in terms of formatting it.

• Options

see my edited comment, I just told you :).

• Options
    edited August 2014

Thanks!

Heh. My order of implementation:

1. Grab definition.
    2. Put definition in locale.php and save.
    3. Panic when forum, refreshed, comes up entirely blank.
    4. Remember I need to end the damn definition with a semicolon.
    5. Victory!

Thank you, again.

• Options

Remember I need to end the damn definition with a semicolon.

I edited and added the semi-colon - so no one else panics. :)

• Options

I handle panic well, in these cases, as long as it's late enough in the day to have a drink...

• Options

Doyce, you are a-ok in my book :)