Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

3rd-party website, to pay someone to write custom plugin

Hi,

Maybe this is a basic or stupid question but I can't seem to find.

I wonder if there are any 3rd-party websites out there, where experienced vanilla plugin coders hang out (and probably many other types of PHP etc coders also hang out), where I can post a description of a plugin I want to have written, and coders can respond if they are interested in writing the plugin in exchange for monetary compensation?

I think it goes against the open source community on this forum to start such a discussion here, so that is not my intent. But I thought perhaps there are such websites out there that you can recommend to me.

I did some google searches but haven't had much luck due to ambiguous search terms.

(Of course at least one person will reply saying "You should learn it and just code it yourself, it's easy". Yes that is one alternative but not exactly answering the question... :-)

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

It is perfectly okay to post something like that here.
    You will find no site with more experienced Vanilla coders ;)

• Options

@R_J,

Great!

How do I generally proceed? Is it: "Here's the exact specifications for what the plugin should do: XYZ. Please PM me if you have interest in writing this, with an estimate of what you'd charge"?

Is such a thing common on these forums? I'm new here, but a quick search didn't turn up any similar posts. I guess I'm just looking for some precedent, because I know the primary intent of these forums is for coders/admins to help other coders/admins - so I may be out of place and want to make sure I don't do it in an improper manner.

Thank you!

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

"Here's the exact specifications for what the plugin should do: XYZ. Please PM me if you have interest in writing this

And add your budget , example, $20 , $50 , $200 etc.

I know the primary intent of these forums is for coders/admins to help other coders/admins

Not really, that is just collateral ... Some might even do it for the sheer joy of coding...

• Options

Welcome to the community, @mingoo!

Some developers here usually do development on plugins and applications starting at a minimum of $100 per project, and, in some cases, lower than that depending on the size of the project.

You may also PM developers, including myself, directly and present them with your ideas to see if they're interested in developing them.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

... and if possible Open Source the plugin to enrich the plugin repository. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

There are many sites that give you direct access to developers:

www.elance.com

https://www.freelancer.com/

http://www.rent-acoder.com/

I even used to use one of these back in college.

I don't know of any specific place developers with Vanilla experience hangout out other than here.

If you post your requirements in the open, the community will give you feedback and might even point at a lesser known existing plugin that does almost what you need.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.