Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Reset whole Vanilla Database

sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there any method i can reset my whole database without resetting the USERS?
even if the user is reset i do not mind as long i will not have to do a manual installation again for the Vanilla.
@Todd @Lincoln

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    There is no specific way to reset the database, no.

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    There is no specific way to reset the database, no.
  • sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Todd then i will just perform a whole new installation

THanks

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    @sahotataran

First, what is the reason you need to do this? there may be a simpler solution. I have recently learned to do such things.
    What program are you using to control your database? e.g PhpMyAdmin
    Before you do anything, go to your cache folder, delete all files ending with '.ini'

then point your browser at /utility/update

eg http://yoursite.com/yourforum/utility/update

Then refresh your browser cache. If that dosent help, go to your database, BACK UP FIRST!!!!!

try first: select all with...(from dropdown) 'repair'. otherwise..

select all tables, choose 'empty' NOT 'drop', this is vital.

Then at the top, choose import, select the sql file you downloaded when you backed up, click go.

here is a guide...

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Backing-up-and-restoring-your-MySQL-Database/4/

Be very careful! you dont want to lose all your hard work.

IF, and only IF, you must re-install, FIRST, save your entire vanilla folder to your computer!!! Later you will want to restore any core files you might have hacked, along with custom css etc etc.

Then download the same version, and upload so that you overwrite the original vanilla folder on your server.

point your browser at your forum address and you should get the vanilla install screen again. follow the prompts, entering the data as you did the first time.

HINT: all your install data is in config.php which you have downloaded to your computer.

Remember...BACK UP YOUR DATABASE FIRST! goodluck :)

IF you want to just save your users, then select only the table GDN_user or/and GDN_userId, click export (to save to your computer.)

To 'reset' your database, select all tables and choose "empty", if you badly messed your database, choose 'drop' for all tables instead (your tables will be recreated and repopulated when you re-install)

then do your reinstall. when your all done, go back to your database and choose 'import' and choose the sql file you saved that contains your user data.

Last and most importantly, when your all done and your forum is back, BACK UP YOUR DATABASE!! select all tables, then, export', and save as file.
    i just had a number of posts through FeedDiscussions - i just wanted to reset them all. i am using it on my LocalHost - so it was not a big deal - i just cleared them through phpMyAdmin
    Thanks @Camo for sharing all this

• @sahotataran no problem, imagine losing all your work on your real forum, A nightmare! Lol

Lol ya thats true. Thats why i want to finish of my testing on LocalHost - i usually always do that - but this time like through FeedDiscussions database was populated - so i just wanted to clear those things away