Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

Auto Feed Discussions 0.9.1 Released

TimTim Lord of Servers Vanilla Staff
edited February 2011 in Questions
This discussion is related to the Feed Discussions addon.
This plugin automatically creates new discussions based on content imported from RSS feeds. Multiple feeds can be enabled simultaneously and will be re-checked automatically based on a configurable frequency.

Vanilla Forums Senior Developer [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Hi.

When i try to configure this plugin, i have this message :

Fatal error: Call to undefined method FeedDiscussionsPlugin::GetPluginKey()in /homez.194/********/www/forum/plugins/FeedDiscussions/class.feeddiscussions.plugin.php on line 112

line 112 : $Sender->Title($this->GetPluginKey('Name'));

I use vanilla 2.0.7
  • TimTim Lord of Servers Vanilla Staff
    I think you're somehow stuck with an old version of gdn_plugin

Are you sure you updated properly?

• This is my first installation of vanilla. No update at this time.

How i can check that ?
  • This is awesome... technically you could plug in an rss feed from a wordpress blog and it would allow people to use the forum for discussion correct?
    It imports topics of discussion from external sources (supplied by RSS) and makes new discussions out of them.

Obviously it doesn't / can't send the vanilla comments back to the source.

But yeah, you can discuss things in the forum that happen elsewhere.

@baje i'm not sure what's happening with your plugin right now.

I can clearly see the method defined here in Gdn_Plugin (library/core/class.plugin.php):
    /**
    * Get a specific keyvalue from the plugin info array
    * @param string $Key Name of the key whose value you wish to retrieve
    * @param mixed $Default Optional value to return if the key cannot be found
    * @return mixed value of the provided key
    */
    public function GetPluginKey($Key, $Default = NULL) {
    return GetValue($Key, Gdn::PluginManager()->GetPluginInfo(get_class($this), Gdn_PluginManager::ACCESS_CLASSNAME), $Default);
    }

And it is made available here in FeedDiscussionsPlugin (plugins/FeedDiscussions/class.feeddiscussions.plugin.php):
    class FeedDiscussionsPlugin extends Gdn_Plugin {

By all rights it should work (and does, for me).

• edited September 2010
    I think you're somehow stuck with an old version of gdn_plugin
    If you speak of the database, i have not a "gdn_plugin". Weird !
  • edited September 2010
    Just update vanilla.

2.0.7 => 2.0.9

Just work great now. :)

A manually update feed is planned ? And choice for category discussion creation ?
  • im unable to delete a feed
    Care to elaborate? :p

Error message, expected behavior, observed behavior... ?

• sure, i can click the link to delete the feed, link looks correct, it processes the action but nothing occurs. one sec let me enable debugging
  • debug doesnt really show anything

wait, ive found the issue. I am able to delete rss feeds, i was testing adding a direct link to a post of a blog, not the rss link. I am unable to delete these. Does that make since?
  • i have a few atom feeds that are doing the same thing, can add them, they dont update nor work, and im unable to delete them
  • Really cool plugin! These are all posted in the same category and by the same user (admin) is there any way to change this? It would be nice if different sources could have different accounts.
  • I can't delete feeds either. Click the button and nothing happens.
    Really cool plugin! These are all posted in the same category and by the same user (admin) is there any way to change this? It would be nice if different sources could have different accounts.
    Sure, we have plans for things like that in the future, but this was a V1/beta release to see what people thought.

japa_la

• Sure, we have plans for things like that in the future, but this was a V1/beta release to see what people thought.
    I would much appreciate those changes!
  • RaizeRaize
    edited September 2010
    It's working fine for me (plugin v. 0.9 / forum v. 2.0.9). I tested it out using a twitter feed, so it takes the tweet and uses it as the title of the post, uses the same thing as the content, and posts to the forum under the first default category that's available. Gonna explore this a little further, I think it could have some potential (ie. creating discussion around tweets).

Also going to set it up so that my blog posts are fed into discussions so that people in the forum can comment on the posts that way... it would be nice if we could pick what category the feed is posted under, but I guess we can wait for that :)
    Released 0.9.1 -

This release addresses a couple of minor issues related to added and removing feeds. Previously, blank or invalid feeds could be added. New checks prevent this.

• This plugin appears to just arbitrarily add the RSS feed to any of the categories?

Would it not be better if we could (should we wish) define the particular category to which it should be added?
  • Hey Tim,

I'm using a wordpress site to pull data from, and it stores the full text in the field.

Is there any chance of having Feed Discussions use this data if it's there?

I've had a quick look at the plugin, but I'm not sure how to debug what is being decoded. I tried changing $StoryBody = (string)GetValue('description', $Item); to 'content:encoded' but to no avail.
  • Bugs:

Adding new feed, unchecking "import older posts", all posts from feed get imported. What does this option stand for then?

When importing any blogspot rss, there are hidden tracker images. The problem is, these images are displayed as plain text (img code contains singlequotes instead of doublequotes, maybe problem is here). But this does not let using this plugin.
  • This plugin appears to just arbitrarily add the RSS feed to any of the categories?

Would it not be better if we could (should we wish) define the particular category to which it should be added?
    How does the plugin decide which category to post the content to?

• i installed this pligin here but nothing is importing what may be the cause ?
  • edited January 2011
    Same here. I installed this but nothing was importing. But I think I found out why.

I think it was because I deleted the powered by vanilla at the foot of the master default file. Once I placed this back, it began to import.
  • Any update on three things:

1) Importing a feed into ONE discussion? I'm going to import a 'Status' twitter rss feed.

2) Importing into only one category?

3) Filtering what is imported from a feed?
  • I have successfully imported the feed from Adminsitrator Dashboard. But But is no showing anywhere in forum. What's the issue? http://tablet.org.in/forum/ is the site I am trying to configure. Any help would be appreciated.

• edited May 2012

Desmanthus said: Really cool plugin! These are all posted in the same category and by the same user (admin) is there any way to change this? It would be nice if different sources could have different accounts.

This will be awesome. the next version must have this function.